B1600 –Essentials Provision Bill 2020

Watch
This discussion is closed.
abucha3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Please tell me this is a joke bill. I am angry as others are that the “let the Government take over responsibility of feeding your child all year” Bill seems to be set to pass, but this is mental
Miss Maddie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by abucha3)
Please tell me this is a joke bill. I am angry as others are that the “let the Government take over responsibility of feeding your child all year” Bill seems to be set to pass, but this is mental
You have multiple government MPs supporting the bill. All the same arguments apply here and are stronger. Free meals don't help people if they don't have running water and a source of warmth throughout the winter. We should provide everything to the disadvantaged.
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
This is clearly a joke bill.
abucha3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
You have multiple government MPs supporting the bill. All the same arguments apply here and are stronger. Free meals don't help people if they don't have running water and a source of warmth throughout the winter. We should provide everything to the disadvantaged.
I think you are joking...

I cannot speak for Citizens MPs, as there is no official Govt Whip on the item, but almost every Conservative MP is against it, bar one
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I think you are joking...

I cannot speak for Citizens MPs, as there is no official Govt Whip on the item, but almost every Conservative MP is against it, bar one
Actually it's bar 2, the Tories would be able to cause the bill to fail, similarly the government as a whole even without vote changes.
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Despite this being an attack on leftist hypocrisy the consequences of this Bill passing would be immense. Nay.
abucha3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Actually it's bar 2, the Tories would be able to cause the bill to fail, similarly the government as a whole even without vote changes.
Who is the second? I cannot see another Tory having voted in favour of that bill
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Who is the second? I cannot see another Tory having voted in favour of that bill
Have a word with the assorted whips

Beyond that with 100% turnout the government can afford 1 rebel, it has 2
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Since "diamond is a girl's best friend", I think we should hand out diamonds to every self-identifying fem*le child so they have a best friend.
Cabin19
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
This bill goes too far sorry people can already use the child benefit support to pay for these utilities bills. Then with the holiday hunger bill being passed why do we have to be giving even more handouts. In addition I strongly believe their needs to be some personal cost to having children in order to maintain a stable national birth rate.As if the government simply starts giving people free utilities, food etc because they have children they will be a baby boom.
Last edited by Cabin19; 2 months ago
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
This is clearly a joke bill.
I think the word 'troll' would be more apt here
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
When did schools start handing out tampons?
My school used to give us a small box of pads/tampons each year thanks to some sort of corporate scheme. Granted it would only do you half a period, and it was mostly an advertising opportunity, but I guess this counts.
Last edited by CatusStarbright; 2 months ago
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
As for this bill itself, I can't tell if it's intended as a joke or not.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm not sure why school-age children would need babies' nappies. That aside, I do question whether the proposer has seen the 'Accidentally Left-Wing' Twitter account, because this would not be out of place on it. Unironically this is a pretty great idea and would really help poor families.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
I'm not sure why school-age children would need babies' nappies. That aside, I do question whether the proposer has seen the 'Accidentally Left-Wing' Twitter account, because this would not be out of place on it. Unironically this is a pretty great idea and would really help poor families.
It's not like the single biggest department in the country exists to do that or anything...
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by El Salvador)
Since "diamond is a girl's best friend", I think we should hand out diamonds to every self-identifying fem*le child so they have a best friend.
Comrade El Salvador, please use inclusive language and write g*rl, or alternatively kween.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It's not like the single biggest department in the country exists to do that or anything...
And it's not as if that department has a long tradition of not doing it very well or anywhere near sufficiently...
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Comrade El Salvador, please use inclusive language and write g*rl, or alternatively kween.
I apologise
Moonbow
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
When did schools start handing out tampons?
My school has always handed out these sanitary products, tampons being among them. It has always been a thing at my school, but I daresay how many others do the same.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Andrew97 please send to Division.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (139)
14.4%
I'm not sure (42)
4.35%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (288)
29.84%
I have already dropped out (25)
2.59%
I'm not a current university student (471)
48.81%

Watched Threads