This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
I primarily meant the popular routes (I should have been clearer). Anglesey people can take the train. Isn't it mostly politicians using the route anyway?
The existence of a Cardiff-Anglesey air link is a national scandal, but the solution to that is to build a more direct train line by joining bits up the coast, so the journey doesn't involve going via Shrewsbury and Chester.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by FRS500)
Against this motion. Cardiff Airport more serves the people than it does/would business hence why the private sector won't touch it.

It NEEDS proper investment and redevelopment and WG need to make a proper case for (a) having an airport in the middle of the Vale and (b) airlines to use it more effectively before it ever becomes commercially viable. Some very popular routes DO fly out of CWL.

Alas said task is something Welsh Government needs to take on and it'll take some time yet.

Also, I didn't know Cardiff Airport got TSR's feathers in a ruffle so much haha
Attachment 937444
But why does it need to be protected?

The reason for the failure Cardiff Airport fundamentally is that there is already a more successful airport 40 miles away in Bristol. Bristol airport serves 8 million passengers, Cardiff serves about 1.5 million. Bristol airport is about an hours drive or train ride away.

Bar technically being in Wales, to be honest if the decision should be based on public sector aviation policy rather than privatise vs nationalise then the best policy would actually be to shut the airport completely and invest in Bristol airport.
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
No. I really don’t see why a public amenity needs to be run for profit rather than in the public interest. You say it’s not a ‘natural monopoly’, Cardiff doesn’t exactly have 20 airports does it?
A reason why European air travel so much cheaper than say Latin America, despite the huge difference in GDP and incomes, is that the airports are private.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Cardiff Airport signed its own death warrant by refusing to modernise in the early 2000s when several airports built a new terminal and refusing to sign up a big low cost carrier to form a hub there. The only thing going for it is a marginally longer runway than Bristol.
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Cardiff Airport signed its own death warrant by refusing to modernise in the early 2000s when several airports built a new terminal and refusing to sign up a big low cost carrier to form a hub there. The only thing going for it is a marginally longer runway than Bristol.
I would have thought the same leftists who harp on about the cLiMaTe eMerGeNcY would at least have the dignity to not oppose this motion and avoid keeping an evil polluting airport in operation.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
And the ~2km runway hasn't stopped London Luton being an incredibly busy airport.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
And the ~2km runway hasn't stopped London Luton being an incredibly busy airport.
Didn't stop Bristol either. If you get the low cost airlines you're going to be successful. Cardiff got neither. When Bristol extends its runway I can see Qatar switching over and Cardiff becoming even more irrelevant.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
I would have thought the same leftists who harp on about the cLiMaTe eMerGeNcY would at least have the dignity to not oppose this motion and avoid keeping an evil polluting airport in operation.
Are these same leftists who harp on about the cLiMaTe eMerGeNcY and still want to produce lots of single use masks and gloves that get dumped in the sea?
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Are these same leftists who harp on about the cLiMaTe eMerGeNcY and still want to produce lots of single use masks and gloves that get dumped in the sea?
Yes, and they're also the same ones that think stopping a single mum with 5 kids who lives on the Pembury estate from driving her kids to school is better for the environment than actually doing something about China and India.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
This item has entered cessation.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Division, clear the lobbies!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.5%
I'm not sure (51)
4.54%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.36%
I have already dropped out (34)
3.02%
I'm not a current university student (546)
48.58%

Watched Threads