Randomer_7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Just curious as to if anyone knows if anyone will be getting a U this year as that doesn't really seem fair to fail someone without actually doing a test.
Dancer2001
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The idea is the same percentage of people will get a U as previous years. I agree it’s slightly unfair, but the whole system is. Everyone’s grades are being given to them without actually doing a test.
Nevi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The worst thing about this year is that even if you get a deserved A*, people will always see your year as 2020 and think that it’s just some fake grade that you were predicted.

It’s awful and I don’t envy any of you. I’m in the year below and would be gutted to be in your shoes. I just hope that most people, this time next year, are happy in whatever place they find themselves, planned or not...

<3 <3
blackugo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not in my sixth form at least. We've had 0 U's for a like 2 years so I doubt it. But I think it's perfectly fair just like some will have to fail GCSE. If you've failed every test in 6th form it is not really unfair if you finish of with fail. If you have got Us consistently and definitely not got close to anything else then sorry to say but your work up until that point was U worthy.You can always sit the exams in Autumn worse case scenario. But they have to base it off of what you have been getting so far. I don't know what else people expect.
Last edited by blackugo; 1 month ago
Randomer_7
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dancer2001)
The idea is the same percentage of people will get a U as previous years. I agree it’s slightly unfair, but the whole system is. Everyone’s grades are being given to them without actually doing a test.
Yeah totally agree but failing someone without giving them a chance doesn't seem right.
blackugo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Randomer_7)
Yeah totally agree but failing someone without giving them a chance doesn't seem right.
Look at it this way. The way the system works someone always has to fail. A certain percentage fail each year. Its not a exclusive concept to 2020.

Mr Salles was talking about it on YouTube. Someone is doomed to fail because there is no fixed level of compentacy to pass its all percentages.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To be fair if someone were given a U they'd have been consistently performing at a very low level (their CAG would have most likely been a E or D at best) - they would have to have done an absolutely monumental amount of work to pull that around as late as March.

Regardless - the percentage getting a U is very small, like 2%ish.
Randomer_7
Rep:
?
(Original post by blackugo)
Not in my sixth form at least. We've had 0 U's for a like 2 years so I doubt it. But I think it's perfectly fair just like some will have to fail GCSE. If you've failed every test in 6th form it is not really unfair if you finish of with fail. If you have got Us consistently and definitely not got close to anything else then sorry to say but your work up until that point was U worthy.You can always sit the exams in Autumn worse case scenario. But they have to base it off of what you have been getting so far. I don't know what else people expect.
Yeah that is true I suppose but I saw a Scottish girl on the news just now who said she got a fail in her French although she was hoping for a C/D. Just hope people who don't deserve to fail get U's just for percentages.
Randomer_7
Rep:
?
Look at it this way. The way the system works someone always has to fail. A certain percentage fail each year. Its not a exclusive concept to 2020.

Mr Salles was talking about it on YouTube. Someone is doomed to fail because there is no fixed level of compentacy to pass its all percentages.
Thanks I'll have a watch
blackugo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think the whole system should be reformed
Randomer_7
Rep:
?
I think the whole system should be reformed
Yh theres really no fair way to do it this year. Some will get higher than they deserve and some will get lower, I just hope I'm not the latter.
blackugo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yh theres really no fair way to do it this year. Some will get higher than they deserve and some will get lower, I just hope I'm not the latter.
Not even just this year. It is like that every year. only 50-60% of English grades are correct. We don't even know what grade anyone really deserves.

take a look:

https://www.hepi.ac.uk/2019/01/15/1-...s-this-matter/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (25)
30.86%
Less motivated (56)
69.14%

Watched Threads