The Student Room Group

Fear Of Fying

Im going on holiday for christmas i know its still far but i have a fear of flying for the past few days every night ive been thinking about it. Im just scared that the plane will crash or something will happen. I dont know why i just am. Is there anything i can do to stop thinking about it. Please dont say cancel teh trip because im really looking forward to it. I have flown before and was not scared but i dont now why i am maybe because i was only 11 then. Im 14 now by the way.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well you shouldn't be scared of it crashing...
After the recent plane crash in Spain killing almost everyone on board, they'll be triple-checking every safety measure on the planes, so nothing can possibly go wrong :smile:
Reply 2
Nicely done:rolleyes:

I could talk about the odds, the relative chances, but there's no point, you're already nervous despite knowing them.

So, instead, just take your mind off it. The 'worse' parts for someone uncomfortable with flight are the takeoffs and landing, so, try everything you can to block yourself out at these points, absorb yourself in a book or listen to mp3 player, etc.
I'm a bit nervous on flights too, despite having flow a lot.
I always find that if I prepare myself to die, before it takes off, I'm good.

/valuable words of wisdom
Reply 4
im terrified of flying and as the post above said the worst part for me is the take off, i love landing :biggrin: theres not really anything that can be done about it, apart from reassuring yourself, and getting the ppl ur flying with to do the same and have a very stiff drink (although u being 14 rules this out) just keep taking deep breaths and keep talking to the person next to you, read, listen to music and watch the inflight films.
Reply 5
I can't make an egg without seeing a counsellor afterwards.

No but seriously, i'm ike that, once you're on the plane you'll be fine. Just listen to music, try and sleep to make the flight just pass.
Drewski
The 'worse' parts for someone uncomfortable with flight are the takeoffs and landing, so, try everything you can to block yourself out at these points, absorb yourself in a book or listen to mp3 player, etc.

You're not allowed to use personal electronics during take-off or landing.
Reply 7
It's less likely dying in a plane crash than dying in a car crash.

Just think logically. You're more likely to get killed in the taxi to the airport than the actual flight. If you're not scared of the taxi, why be scared of the flight?
Reply 8
thats pretty dumb. planes are really safe and rarely ever crash.
Reply 9
la fille danse
You're not allowed to use personal electronics during take-off or landing.

Yeah, but I've never been stopped.
Reply 10
Drewski
Nicely done:rolleyes:

I could talk about the odds, the relative chances, but there's no point, you're already nervous despite knowing them.

So, instead, just take your mind off it. The 'worse' parts for someone uncomfortable with flight are the takeoffs and landing, so, try everything you can to block yourself out at these points, absorb yourself in a book or listen to mp3 player, etc.

Im not scared about taking of im scared about when plabne is in the air incase anything happens
HJV
It's less likely dying in a plane crash than dying in a car crash.

Just think logically. You're more likely to get killed in the taxi to the airport than the actual flight. If you're not scared of the taxi, why be scared of the flight?

For most people, the thought of plummeting 30,000 feet to your death is a lot scarier than dying instantly in a car crash. It's the method, not the odds.
Reply 12
MadeInChina
thats pretty dumb. planes are really safe and rarely ever crash.

They're also a couple of hundred tonnes of metal and fuel defying gravity at many miles of altitude, I think people having a fear is understandable.
sharma104
Im not scared about taking of im scared about when plabne is in the air incase anything happens

You're much more likely to crash during take-off than any other time. You VERY rarely hear about planes crashing while they're cruising...
Reply 14
sharma104

Futile, I know, but that is the absolute safest part of it all [well, aside from being in the plane on the ground, I guess:rolleyes:].

Sleeping pills - can't be scared if you're asleep.
Reply 15
quoting what i read the other day, ppl are generally more scared of flying rather than driving because car crashes happen more often and we are generally used to seeing and reading about them, becuase plane crashes happen a lot less often and on a more horrific scale..

u can see why ppl get scared wen they see images of the wreckage on television..
and programmes like air crash investigation dont help!!!
I used to be terrified of flying, even though I flew nearly every summer to go on holiday - I'm better now, but I will avoid it whenever possible and the prospect of turbulence makes me feel panicky. It's an irrational feeling, as I know that there's a higher chance of being in a car crash than crashing in a plane, but I think it just comes from the anxiety of not being on the ground and not having any control whatsoever over your life (well, I guess that's the case with a traffic accident too...!).

Try and distract yourself - during take off/landing, perhaps try and read a magazine or a funny/engrossing book, or just keep talking to whoever is next to you. During the flight take plenty of entertainment with you like your mp3, book, magazine, puzzles etc and if it's a long-haul flight just watch about 3 movies!

Falling asleep is also a good idea - perhaps take some sleeping pills (after seeing a doctor)?
Reply 17
If you want to go down the medicating route you could always go to your GP and see what they say. Though if you do decide to get prescribed something, test it before you go; finding out at 33,000ft that the pills are doing nothing for you despite what the doctor said, is not nice. I know that from personal experience. :s-smilie:

C-
Reply 18
lou_lou87
quoting what i read the other day, ppl are generally more scared of flying rather than driving because car crashes happen more often and we are generally used to seeing and reading about them, becuase plane crashes happen a lot less often and on a more horrific scale..

u can see why ppl get scared wen they see images of the wreckage on television..
and programmes like air crash investigation dont help!!!

Aviation, despite being so widepsread, is still regarded as a black art, really.

It's not helped by the fact that noone really understands how it happens:rolleyes:

But yeah, there's the problem that even a minor incident is going to create panic because people don't understand what's going on.

Remember how once people thought that if you travelled faster than 30mph you'd suffer irrepairable brain damage?
Reply 19
Drewski
They're also a couple of hundred tonnes of metal and fuel defying gravity at many miles of altitude, I think people having a fear is understandable.

Ohh thnx a lot for making more scared lol

Latest

Trending

Trending