iizzymarie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, so I have no clue what I want to do in the future, great start I know...

For A Levels i’ve picked Biology, English Literature, Psychology and Media Studies because I enjoy them, which I know is the most important thing but i’m very conscious of my future and money etc and these subjects could open a lot of options for uni courses. However i’m not sure if i want to do Biology anymore since everyone says it’s really hard and terrible and will ruin my life. Which isn’t ideal?! I know the workload is a lot more and stuff in A Levels but I want to drop Biology already. I picked it since i’m not sure if i want to take a science route with my career. I guess i’m just hoping someone will give me positive advice on Biology A Level and make me feel less scared about my crippling mental health. I already struggle with it so erm i don’t want to increase it by a bad choice i guess..?!?!

Also i know nothing about uni and yeah so maybe i’m wrong and my choices are bad, who knows. Basically i’m panicking already and i’ve not even started A Levels.
nzy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Biology and other sciences might be more conceptually difficult at A-Level than other subjects, but I wouldn't say the workload is necessarily more.
You might well end up having to spend more time studying biology than your other subjects, but the same could be true of any of your A-Levels - different A-Level test different skills, and how hard they are depends on what you personally find difficult. I didn't take Biology, but I know I personally found Physics relatively easy, whereas I struggled considerably more with what are sometimes considered 'easier' subjects where I had to write longer essays and memorise more information.

It's normal to be nervous about starting your A-Levels, but if you enjoy what you're going to be studying, don't let others put you off. You've picked a wide range of subjects and will have plenty of options when it comes to university courses (if that's where you're planning on going), so you don't need to worry about that (at least not just yet :grin:) . If you do end up struggling with the workload, you can always drop one of your subjects down the line since you'd be taking 4 anyway.
iizzymarie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by nzy)
Biology and other sciences might be more conceptually difficult at A-Level than other subjects, but I wouldn't say the workload is necessarily more.
You might well end up having to spend more time studying biology than your other subjects, but the same could be true of any of your A-Levels - different A-Level test different skills, and how hard they are depends on what you personally find difficult. I didn't take Biology, but I know I personally found Physics relatively easy, whereas I struggled considerably more with what are sometimes considered 'easier' subjects where I had to write longer essays and memorise more information.

It's normal to be nervous about starting your A-Levels, but if you enjoy what you're going to be studying, don't let others put you off. You've picked a wide range of subjects and will have plenty of options when it comes to university courses (if that's where you're planning on going), so you don't need to worry about that (at least not just yet :grin:) . If you do end up struggling with the workload, you can always drop one of your subjects down the line since you'd be taking 4 anyway.
thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (50)
21.93%
No (178)
78.07%

Watched Threads