Tips for preparing for graduate jobs application process?

Watch
Ara1234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Going into 3rd year, and I want to make the most of my summer by being as prepared as a can when September rolls around, so I can start applying for graduate roles as soon as possible
I'm doing Accounting and Finance, and would like to go into a finance related role.
I'm going to start practicing psychometric tests, and perhaps just answering general interview question, as I've never done an interview before, and being prepared would really help me.
If you've been through the grad recruiting process, what tips would you give to those starting to apply next year? to make the application process less stressful?
Any advice appreciated thanks.
Otherdjrj
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Prepare your cover letters now so when apps roll around you can just send them off without too much trouble.

Also, as you’ve already said, psychometric tests are a biggie. No point preparing your interview technique and cv etc if you fall at the first hurdle. Most people underestimate the importance of them.

I guess just practise all aspects of the interview process. If you aren’t good on video then practise that, same with phone interviews. Plus you can tell what the main questions will be, why you? Why the firm? Weaknesses? etc so get all these nailed down

If you can answer the ‘standard’ questions really well, the chances are the rest of the interview will be more relaxed
Legomenon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In addition to the above I want to point out that most graduate interviews are very 'competency-based,' i.e. they will ask you questions such as 'give me an example of a time you were creative/worked in a team/overcame some hardship etc.'

So I would make a list of all the most common competencies that they may ask about and construct an answer to each one. Google is your friend for this as you can find a lot of tips on how to tackle competency-based interview questions, including using the STAR technique for structuring your answers (which I highly recommend).

It shouldn't be hard to prepare some good answers as long as you've done some stuff outside your degree in the last couple of years, like work experience/internships, or even having a position in some society.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (50)
21.93%
No (178)
78.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise