example number
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I realise this is a very different question to most of the others asked on this forum but it seemed the best place to put it.
I'm planning on applying to Cambridge this year and know there's probably quite a small chance that I'll get in, but I still think it worth asking this question. I would say I'm quite an introverted person but would be happy to get involved in societies if I did get into Cambridge.
However after attending the (virtual) open days this year it seems that Cambridge encourages a 'work hard play hard' sort of mentality and it seems that most of the students seem to spend several nights a week clubbing, which I would hate.
Would any current Cambridge students be able to confirm whether this suggestion is true, or if there is a reasonable number of people like myself who aren't total nerds (i.e. spending their entire day locked in their rooms not speaking to anyone) but don't really like nights out?
Apologies if this is a really stupid question, but it seems that there are so many people suggesting that most people in Cambridge do enjoy binge drinking/partying all the time on TSR to persuade people who think of Cambridge as posh/nerdy to apply, making people like me think we may be too introverted to fit in.
have
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by example number)
Hi, I realise this is a very different question to most of the others asked on this forum but it seemed the best place to put it.
I'm planning on applying to Cambridge this year and know there's probably quite a small chance that I'll get in, but I still think it worth asking this question. I would say I'm quite an introverted person but would be happy to get involved in societies if I did get into Cambridge.
However after attending the (virtual) open days this year it seems that Cambridge encourages a 'work hard play hard' sort of mentality and it seems that most of the students seem to spend several nights a week clubbing, which I would hate.
Would any current Cambridge students be able to confirm whether this suggestion is true, or if there is a reasonable number of people like myself who aren't total nerds (i.e. spending their entire day locked in their rooms not speaking to anyone) but don't really like nights out?
Apologies if this is a really stupid question, but it seems that there are so many people suggesting that most people in Cambridge do enjoy binge drinking/partying all the time on TSR to persuade people who think of Cambridge as posh/nerdy to apply, making people like me think we may be too introverted to fit in.
Lord I wish most students went out clubbing several nights a week. I would say most students dont go out clubbing much at all after freshers, the people who do would probably go once a week to like weds cindies or g-bomb if thats their style.
There's definitely a lot of people like you, you have no reason to worry. Work hard, play hard is mostly right, but play doesnt mean going out clubbing, it includes all the various societies etc.
The point is Cambridge has a lot of people, you'll get all types all across the spectrum, including the people who lock themselves in their rooms, to people who go to the club most nights a week, but then also everythjng in between as well.
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by example number)
Hi there! Speaking as an ex-student, I can honestly say that you will not be the only person who doesn't like going out/clubbing! There were plenty of people I knew who either never went out, or went once or twice a term, including all of my friends. We still did loads of social things (some of the quite nerdy, like watching University Challenge together) and had a great time socially. We also joined clubs and societies, which most people do, and some of my friends even founded one of their own (knitting and crafting, in case you're interested!). they're a great way to meet people who have the same hobbies and interests as you. Here's the list of the university registered ones: https://www.cambridgesu.co.uk/opport...ies/societies/, but there are lots of other societies at College level which aren't listed here.

Obviously, there will be plenty of students who do like clubbing, but even the most hardcore probably won't go more than twice a week. College bops (think themed discos with all of your mates) can be quite fun, but there's absolutely no pressure to go. Not all Colleges hold them, in any case.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (59)
13.35%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (57)
12.9%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (170)
38.46%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.41%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (87)
19.68%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.2%

Watched Threads