The Student Room Group

Teach me a new word.

Can’t sleep and feel a sudden urge to expand my vocabulary! Just came across ‘bissextus’ - the extra day added to the calendar every fourth year :smile:.

:/😂
Here's some I have saved on my Kindle 10th Gen's vocab builder:

Mirthless (adj. of a smile or laugh) - lacking real amusement and typically expressing irony. "His mirthless laugh after breaking the tv was bone shuddering"
Indolence - avoidance of activity or exertion; laziness "my failure is probably due to my own indolence"
Bodhisattva (Mahayana Buddhist term) - someone who has reached nirvana but delays doing so through compassion for sufferings of others
Sesquipedalian - (of a word) polysyllabic; long or characterized by long words; long-winded.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymousamie
Can’t sleep and feel a sudden urge to expand my vocabulary! Just came across ‘bissextus’ - the extra day added to the calendar every fourth year :smile:.

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia: The fear of long words.

Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia: The fear of the number 666.
Reply 6
Original post by DiddyDec
Sesquipedalian - (of a word) polysyllabic; long or characterized by long words; long-winded.

Lol, similar to the word I just posted.
Original post by Strelzo
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia: The fear of long words.

Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia: The fear of the number 666.

I think these words have caused me to develop the former fear.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymousamie
I think these words have caused me to develop the former fear.

:biggrin:
Here are some beautiful words for you!

Eudaimonia
Noun: Greek [U-day-mo-nay-a]

You know that happy, peaceful feeling when you’re away on holiday, travelling the world?

There’s a word for that.

‘Eudaimonia’ is a Greek word which describes the contented state you feel when you travel. Your horizons have been opened and you feel tranquil.

Serendipity
Noun: English [Ser-en-dip-i-tee]

One of the most beautiful words in the English language, and one that is very rarely used is ‘serendipity’.

You may have heard this word before, but do you know what it means?

The word is used to describe when you find something good without looking for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending