Are 17 year olds young adults, or children?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Legally a 17 year old is a child, terms like 'young person' are often used.
Last edited by glassalice; 1 month ago
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Under the eyes of the law a 17 year old is a child. Though they can do adult things such as drive a car, drink alcohol at a pub or restaurant with a meal.
Anonymous #1
- In your opinion
Nevi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Legally I’m a child

Legally I can also drive a car, consent to sex (therefore also have my OWN child), play the lottery, join the army, and even apply for a pilots license (lol) I’m also applying to university in a few weeks time.

I wouldn’t put me on the same level as a 5, 7 or 10 year old. I certainly wouldn’t want to be treated like a child.

When I finished my GCSEs I hated school. I was behaving awfully. I walked out and said awful things to the staff there. I was going through some awful stuff and I felt worthless, useless and hated everything.

Started college and suddenly I enjoyed everything. I love learning, I love the staff and the subjects. I look back now and it’s all because at ‘school’ I was 16 and being treated like an 11 year old or younger. College treats me like a young adult, as I deserve to be, and therefore I don’t feel belittled. I am there of my own accord and I won’t be punished for not doing it, I will simply be letting myself down. Not being told what and how to do something has made me want to do something as it has allowed me to make my own choices and feel the rewards for my efforts - rather than get a good old clap for something I was spoon fed that I didn’t even want to do.

February I went to Rome on an educational trip *COUGH holiday COUGH* (pre-lockdown) and we were given 11pm curfew for the week we were there. We all went out drinking (drinking age is 16 there) and were given free reign of the city (within reason) My friends and I rode the metro and went and did anything we wanted and we had the most amazing time ever. It gave me the confidence to do things for myself like order food at a bar and take public transport. Don’t get me wrong, our teacher wasn’t an advocate for random roman raving, he and anyone knows that these experiences must be had as part of the rites of growing up. Being trusted to roam Rome, a capital city (and lets face it, not the safest haven on earth) made me feel so proud to be me and determined NOT to break the trust. Being given it was a risk, always, but every single one of us proved that we deserved it.

Being treated like a child had clipped my wings for too long and it was beginning to look pathetic. It simply isn’t viable to call someone a child and treat them like such until the day they turn 18. It does more damage than good. Being given the chance to do ‘adult stuff’, and be able to relate to adults (I know my teachers on first name basis) as real life people just like me and not some superior force, had such a positive impact on me.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Legally they are a child so your parents have parental responsibility over u and need to look after you. But when it comes to college and school u are seen as adults.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some act like like children, some act like young adults
Anonymous #1
bump
username5027880
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I still think child.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Legally and mentally a child
royalty1702
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
Legally and mentally a child
you don't mentally become an adult the day you turn 18 do you?
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Children, you aren’t a proper adult until you are about 23 or 24
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Child, Young Adult is just something we put on books and TV shows to make them feel a bit edgier.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by royalty1702)
you don't mentally become an adult the day you turn 18 do you?
No, not until your mid 20s usually
ghjajkfa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You're a child whether you like it or not. Legally you are a child and mentally you don't fully mature until your 20s - and by most standards some people never mature.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (48)
14.37%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
13.77%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (121)
36.23%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (33)
9.88%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
20.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.39%

Watched Threads