Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Going to stoke the fire a bit here and post something I put up on my blog earlier today. Agree? Disagree? Fire away. If you want to have a look at the vids (something I strongly recommend you do) just check out: www.coffeecupdaily.com

In my last entry I called Palin “A very safe choice”. Having now had a bit of time to research the person and let the initial surprise fade away I’d like to do the political flip-flop and say this is exactly the opposite, a huge gamble. They’ve just thrown out their only argument with any face credibility, experience. What are they thinking?

Do they honestly, hand on bible look me in the eye -honestly, think they will get the 18 million people who voted for Hillary to jump ship? Please.

And get this, Steve Doocy of Fox News suggested she actually does have foreign policy experience because Alaska happens to have sea border with Russia… If you say so Steve. I mean what?

Does she know what the difference between Sunni and Shia is? Does she know what’s actually going on in Georgia? How many times has she actually travelled outside the US (And Canada doesn’t count!). What does she know about Europe, has she ever even bothered to get clued on international topics? When the US was about to attack Iraq did she even have an opinion? You can NOT compare Obama and Palin in terms of experience (or lack thereof). It’s ludicrous and most people will hopefully see through this.

I mean look, she wasn’t expecting to enter national politics so soon, she was quite happy governing Alaska and for that reason she had no reason to even care about international politics. In fact, she was so happy governing Alaska she didn’t even know what a VP is supposed to do. Check it out.

What just happened there, did the interviewer actually school her on what it means to be a VP?

And did you see the actual VP unveiling event? It’s now been uncovered McCain had only met her once - yes once - before Friday and it sure looked that way. I don’t think I’ve ever seen McCain so at unease with someone. Just watch McCain’s body language while Palin is speaking.

This McCain/Palin ticket feels like a plastic fake, disjointed and unreal. The two are such a mismatch it’s incomprehensible. Here’s the video if you want to take a look. Keep your eyes on McCain.

Oh and you might want to hit the mute button at some point, her speech is just that bad.

I think McCain just out-mavericked himself out of this race.

ReputationRep:
    The difference between the tickets is that the Republicans have the experienced, knowledgeable, trusted guy at the top of the ticket and the Democrats have the experienced, knowledgeable, trusted guy at the bottom of the ticket.

The Democrats claim that the Republicans want to put someone with little experience and no foreign policy experience a heartbeat away from the Presidency. The Democrats want to put a similarly experienced person IN the Presidency. She at least has a couple of years running a State, all Obama's done is sat in the Senate and by most accounts done precious little while he's been there.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say the OP has got it pretty much spot on. It was a pointless gamble. He already has the core republican vote, and can achieve nothing by bringing in a gun-toting right winger. The sensible option would have been to put a 'wishy washie goddam pinko liberal' on the ticket, thus winning some Clinton supporters. He was never going to lose the deep south, for instance. They'd vote Republican no matter what, however disillusioned they were with the candidate.

ReputationRep:
    In my last entry I called Palin “A very safe choice”. Having now had a bit of time to research the person and let the initial surprise fade away I’d like to do the political flip-flop and say this is exactly the opposite, a huge gamble. They’ve just thrown out their only argument with any face credibility, experience. What are they thinking?

Only argument? What about Obama's lack of concrete policies? What about his endless rhetoric with no substance? What about the fact that his own VP said he wasn't ready for office?

Do they honestly, hand on bible look me in the eye -honestly, think they will get the 18 million people who voted for Hillary to jump ship? Please.

The GOP don't need all 18 million to switch. A percentage of this will be enough to swing it in their favour.

And get this, Steve Doocy of Fox News suggested she actually does have foreign policy experience because Alaska happens to have sea border with Russia… If you say so Steve. I mean what?

Not as stupid as it sounds. In a world where conflict for resources is ever increasing, Alaska's rich oil fields may well be a source of great power for the USA in the future, especially with Russia's resurgence.

Does she know what the difference between Sunni and Shia is? Does she know what’s actually going on in Georgia? How many times has she actually travelled outside the US (And Canada doesn’t count!). What does she know about Europe, has she ever even bothered to get clued on international topics? When the US was about to attack Iraq did she even have an opinion? You can NOT compare Obama and Palin in terms of experience (or lack thereof). It’s ludicrous and most people will hopefully see through this.

On home affairs, you know, where a President is DIRECTLY responsible, Palin has more executive experience than Obama, simple as. Plus, you're forgetting that Obama is heading the ticket, Palin is only the VP.

I mean look, she wasn’t expecting to enter national politics so soon, she was quite happy governing Alaska and for that reason she had no reason to even care about international politics. In fact, she was so happy governing Alaska she didn’t even know what a VP is supposed to do. Check it out.

What just happened there, did the interviewer actually school her on what it means to be a VP?

I don't think so...

And did you see the actual VP unveiling event? It’s now been uncovered McCain had only met her once - yes once - before Friday and it sure looked that way. I don’t think I’ve ever seen McCain so at unease with someone. Just watch McCain’s body language while Palin is speaking.

That's so spurious. Are you a body language expert? No?

This McCain/Palin ticket feels like a plastic fake, disjointed and unreal. The two are such a mismatch it’s incomprehensible. Here’s the video if you want to take a look. Keep your eyes on McCain.

Oh and you might want to hit the mute button at some point, her speech is just that bad.

I think McCain just out-mavericked himself out of this race.

And I think this has probably won him the election...

ReputationRep:
    i would be surprised if Hilary supporters voted for for someone at the complete opposite of the political spectrum. Palin is very conservative on social issues. she is vehemently anti-abortion and she is even against conventional birth control for married women. People didn't like Hilary just because she was a woman -- they liked her policies, they liked her story and experience and they liked the fact that this all came in a female package.

Mccain is going after female conservatives and independents who feel that they can relate to her story. The soccer moms. He might well get them but I think there is also a danger that he will turn off other independents that preferred him over Obama because they believed in his experience and judgment. They might see this as a cynical move that puts the country at risk - the whole "heartbeat away from the presidency" thing which has more resonance in view of Mccain's age and previous bouts of cancer. It is Mccain who has been harping on about experience being key so this makes him look a bit inconsistent. The other thing is that she is being investigated for abuse of power which doesn't look good. Seems a bit risky to nominate someone currently under investigation to be VP.

Only time will tell. What do you all think will be the impact of Gustav? Might be a good thing for Mccain if Bush decides not to attend the convention but it will really put a damper on the festivities.

Do any of you read: http://electoral-vote.com/ -- it's a great site and has some good analysis. Yesterday's entry "The Veep: A Short Play in One Act" is very amusing and even if it's nonsense you can really imagine it playing out in the way it describes.

ReputationRep:
    Looking strictly at running mate selections it seems Obama has chosen the person that he thinks will bring the most to his administration while McCain's choice seems to solely suit the election itself. I think it just underlines McCains point that Obama would somehow sacrifice the good of this country so that he could win an election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssk2)
    Only argument? What about Obama's lack of concrete policies? What about his endless rhetoric with no substance? What about the fact that his own VP said he wasn't ready for office?
    You might have argued that in the early stages of his bid for presidency, times before the primaries, but if you've listened to his speeches and followed his town hall type meetings, especially in the past two months, you'll notice he's just as specific, if not even more so, as John McCain. People need to stop thinking that being a good speaker automatically means you have no substance.

When asked about things people could do in their daily lives Obama went right down to the nitty gritty details and said Americans could save gas by for example keeping tires properly inflated. McCain then slammed it as if it was the whole "Obama energy plan." Then when it was reported that this was actually a smart thing to do and was even listed as a top tip on the Department of Energy website McCain humbly came out in a radio interview and said he actually agreed that it was a good idea.

No policies? May I refer you to: http://www.barackobama.com/issues/

And don't just skim through it pretending like you've read it, actually click on "continue reading" and do your research before you say the guy has no policies.

As for Biden's comments, that's primaries for you. It was the only perceived weakness, on paper, in Obama, so naturally his competitors on stage sought to put his foreign policy experience into question. Didn't work though did it. There are plenty of nasty sound bites I could dig up from the GOP debates, especially coming from the direction of Mitt Romney.

As for Palin, she actually had some pretty nice things to say about Obama's message of change before she was picked for the VP slot. Have a look.

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/2008/0...alk_gourevitch

(Original post by ssk2)
    The GOP don't need all 18 million to switch. A percentage of this will be enough to swing it in their favour.
    We will know the extent of the impact this will have in the coming weeks but in the words of James Carville "She might get 18 of the 18 million" and the rest will see this for what it is, pandering. This is no Hillary Clinton... not even close.

(Original post by ssk2)
    Not as stupid as it sounds. In a world where conflict for resources is ever increasing, Alaska's rich oil fields may well be a source of great power for the USA in the future, especially with Russia's resurgence.
    Sorry but no, what has been going on in Alaska in the past 20 months that would have given her foreign policy experience? That's right. Nada.

George Bush was Governor of Texas, bordering state with Mexico, he must have thus had tons of foreign policy experience (and admin) and it sure helped. His policies at home and abroad have been resounding successes. Even 28% of his fellow Americans agree!

(Original post by ssk2)
    On home affairs, you know, where a President is DIRECTLY responsible, Palin has more executive experience than Obama, simple as. Plus, you're forgetting that Obama is heading the ticket, Palin is only the VP.
    From a political perspective you could argue that, yes. A governor is more responsible for the day to day things like health care, national guard etc... But think about this, if that's your only measure then she has more administrative experience than McCain. In his political life he's only been in Congress.

If you want to look at admin experience then take into account Obama's experience as a community organizer, his time as president of the Harvard Law Review and his involvement with Public Allies among other things.

Also, McCain is 72 and has had bouts with melanoma before. He's getting to an age where health problems start getting more and more likely. Thus it is perfectly valid to examine the "what if" scenario if, god forbid, something happened to a President McCain and he became incapable of doing his job. In such a scenario we would have a President Palin and trust me, she would be eaten alive by Putin, Medvedev, Ahmadinejad and Co.

She would literally be just a hear beat away from the presidency.

(Original post by ssk2)
    I don't think so...
    Well she confessed she didn't know what the role of a VP is. Means she probably has pretty big gaps in her knowledge of other areas in national government as well.

(Original post by ssk2)
    That's so spurious. Are you a body language expert? No?
    Every human being is able to read subtle cues and comparing him to how he acts usually I'd say he wasn't 100% at ease. Would you say he looked absolutely confident?

Also, still doesn't erase the fact that they had only met once before McCain picked her. You can not get to know a person that quickly. He's taking a huge risk, not only on his own part, but that of all Americans (and the whole "free world", if you will, for that matter) if he were to become president.

(Original post by ssk2)
    And I think this has probably won him the election...
    We'll see in November won't we?

ReputationRep:
    What do you all think about the latest revelations about Palin? What a soap opera American politics has become!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/us...l?ref=politics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tami)
    What do you all think about the latest revelations about Palin? What a soap opera American politics has become!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/us...l?ref=politics
    What do I think? I think it has absolutely nothing to do with this race. It's a private family matter and people should treat it as such. Totally agree with what Obama said about the matter.

http://edition.cnn.com/video/?/video....statement.cnn

It's a good point he raised there too, his mother was herself just 18 when she gave birth to him and he didn't turn out too bad in the end ;p

ReputationRep:
    i agree that it's a private issue. however surely you can't blame people for seeing it as a political matter when she has a policy of not teaching sex education in schools? personally i think the ethics investigation she's involved in is much more relevant.

what about the fact that she used to belong to a party that promoted Alaskan independence? that's kinda funny.

what do you think of the nytimes piece? most newspapers are running similar stories. do you think that mccain vetted her properly? i mean if he knew all of this stuff in advance, he must have known how people would react and it's totally distracting voters from the real issues. do you think that's what mccain wanted or do you think that there was a problem with the vetting?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.