The Student Room Group

Scared of clubbing

I recently turned 18 and, although I won’t be going out for a while due to quarantine, I get really nervous every time I think about it. I’m not used to drinking as I’ve only done it a handful of times. I can’t handle my drink very well, the last two times I got drunk I spent the entire night over the toilet. I was also mean to one of my friends one time.

Obviously I want to go clubbing and have a fun time with my friends, but I’m terrified of what will happen. Clubs where I’m from sell very strong drinks & my friends often peer pressure me. I know it sounds silly but I have thoughts about getting really drunk and ending up in dangerous situations, e.g. getting beat up/in a fight. I don’t know how to overcome this anxiety.
Learn to say no and moderate your alcohol consumption.
Find the alcohol that is right for you. Know your limits and don’t exceed it. Drinking at the club honestly isn’t all that, predrink so you’re not stuck with the overpriced drinks at the club. Fights rarely ever happen. I know where you’re coming from though. I didn’t drink until university but I quickly found my limit. And if they peer pressure you maybe you need new friends or maybe just try to turn it around on them (if they tell you to get a drink tell them to get a drink). Soon enough they’ll be so drunk without noticing what you’re drinking. You can always just get coke and say it’s vodka and coke :smile:
Reply 3
With very few exceptions, Coke with any mixer looks exactly the same as Coke with nothing in it.

So even if your friends are doing the pressuring thing, you can stealthily moderate your alcohol consumption any time you like.
You don’t have to give in to peer pressure and it’s possible to have fun without alcohol.
Reply 5
The last time I went out drinking (a couple weeks ago), things didn't end too well (similar to some of your experiences). Just reduce your alcohol consumption whilst also understanding you don't have to be off your t**s to have a good time out, especially if a club is playing a good selection of music.

Most people will be nervous going out for a variety of reasons anyway as clubs won't be opening anytime soon (not till at least sometime next year imo)..
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I recently turned 18 and, although I won’t be going out for a while due to quarantine, I get really nervous every time I think about it. I’m not used to drinking as I’ve only done it a handful of times. I can’t handle my drink very well, the last two times I got drunk I spent the entire night over the toilet. I was also mean to one of my friends one time.

Obviously I want to go clubbing and have a fun time with my friends, but I’m terrified of what will happen. Clubs where I’m from sell very strong drinks & my friends often peer pressure me. I know it sounds silly but I have thoughts about getting really drunk and ending up in dangerous situations, e.g. getting beat up/in a fight. I don’t know how to overcome this anxiety.

Just say you are not drinking. After the first few times they will get bored of asking. One third of teenagers do not drink so do not feel you have to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending