The Student Room Group

ED behaviour? (TW food, self harm)

Hi,

I'm not really sure where to post this but here goes.. I have struggled with my mental health before and used to have a constant battle with anxiety and would self harm to cope. Since then (around 3 years ago) things were generally improving until recently. I can't stop thinking about food and calories and I had the urge and threw up because I felt so guilty for eating. I am going to university soon and I am scared that I will get worse and don't know what to do

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I'm not really sure where to post this but here goes.. I have struggled with my mental health before and used to have a constant battle with anxiety and would self harm to cope. Since then (around 3 years ago) things were generally improving until recently. I can't stop thinking about food and calories and I had the urge and threw up because I felt so guilty for eating. I am going to university soon and I am scared that I will get worse and don't know what to do

Well contact your gp. Get online counselling help. Check out mental health support facilities at the uni that you are going to. They will have support services there.
Don't fall apart or despair. You beat the problem once and you will beat it again!
Reply 2
Original post by mgi
Well contact your gp. Get online counselling help. Check out mental health support facilities at the uni that you are going to. They will have support services there.
Don't fall apart or despair. You beat the problem once and you will beat it again!

I'm scared it isn't serious enough to seek help and I've not had this problem with food before it's more recently
Hi,

Do you have anyone you can talk to who can just keep checking you're eating enough? You might not think it's serious at the moment but you don't want it getting worse. Definitely contact your gp
Reply 4
I'm scared it isn't serious enough to seek help and I've not had this problem with food before it's more recently

Any GP worth their degree will understand that disordered eating needs to be addressed as soon as it comes up, it doesn't need to be super severe or whatever to warrant seeking support. Get help. EDs will only lull you into a false sense of security, saying there's no point seeking help because it's "not that bad," and before you know it, it's horrific. You owe it to yourself, and your body, to seek help when you notice this sort of thing. I wish you luck.
Reply 5

It is serious. You are clearly very worried enough so get help. No one who is decent will judge you for having anxiety.
Hi,

Please seek help now. You should contact your GP and the charity BEAT will be able to help you through this. I was the same as you about three years ago and that's when I started to calorie count and feel guilty about eating. Fast forward three years and I've been through anorexia and now bulimia and this condition takes everything away from you and it won't stop at that. It's relentless. I would advise you to get help now while it's still at a very early stage and I'm here to talk if you want support.
Seek help before it gets too serious. Best to nip it in the bud

See your GP, or organise some counselling sessions (this is what helped me recover)

If you really don't want to see a counsellor (but I really suggest you do!) you could use an online service called 7Cups which is basically online free counselling - it helps just talking to someone abt how you're feeling
Reply 8
Original post by L'anatra.M
Do you have anyone you can talk to who can just keep checking you're eating enough? You might not think it's serious at the moment but you don't want it getting worse. Definitely contact your gp

I can but I don't want my mum to know and worry for no reason
Reply 9
Original post by wastedcuriosity
Seek help before it gets too serious. Best to nip it in the bud

See your GP, or organise some counselling sessions (this is what helped me recover)

If you really don't want to see a counsellor (but I really suggest you do!) you could use an online service called 7Cups which is basically online free counselling - it helps just talking to someone abt how you're feeling

Thanks for all the replies and advice everyone. I think for the next few weeks I will just monitor the situation and don't want to go to the GP yet incase I am just wasting a slot someone else might need more. I will probably get in touch with uni counselling services in Sep/Oct when I move to uni as if I did now it would only be for a month and a bit before having to move out which is what the waitlist time probably is anyway. I don't think it's all bad though I feel calmer when I am in control
Hi,

i have the exact same problem. i'm a raging bulimic lmao. i can feel my body deteriorating but i can't stop. i have chest pain, heart palpitations and it hurts when i swallow. i want to enjoy myself at uni and live my best life but i'm so bloody scared of food. i hope we can both get through this :console: i'm rooting for you!
Please seek help now. You should contact your GP and the charity BEAT will be able to help you through this. I was the same as you about three years ago and that's when I started to calorie count and feel guilty about eating. Fast forward three years and I've been through anorexia and now bulimia and this condition takes everything away from you and it won't stop at that. It's relentless. I would advise you to get help now while it's still at a very early stage and I'm here to talk if

Thank you, I will look into BEAT
i have the exact same problem. i'm a raging bulimic lmao. i can feel my body deteriorating but i can't stop. i have chest pain, heart palpitations and it hurts when i swallow. i want to enjoy myself at uni and live my best life but i'm so bloody scared of food. i hope we can both get through this :console: i'm rooting for you!

You've got this! Do you plan on getting help at uni and where are you going if you don't mind me asking? It's okay if you don't want to say
You've got this! Do you plan on getting help at uni and where are you going if you don't mind me asking? It's okay if you don't want to say

i'm thinking of it but i want to recover on my own. literally nobody knows about my ed, not a soul. i think i might get a check up when i get there in case there are some underlying issues caused by my ed. idk how well recovering on my own will work tho. i'm trying to do it step by step. i used to p*rge three times a day and now it's only one. but i can still feel my body breaking down. it's scary but fsr my brain thinks its scarier to gain weight kmt. how about you? :smile:
Hi,

ik its hard cos it was hard for me but speak out go to ur doctors , tell a teacher , tell ur parents whatever easier and best for you. for me it was telling the one teacher i liked and felt comfortable with cos i could never tell my parents cos even tho i hv amazing parents it was hard. get help u wont regret it. its hard trust mw the hardest thing ever but u will mever feel better. for me i cam now hv nice clothes nice shoes which i couldnt hv cos i was to underweight before. get help and be brave. good luck
i'm thinking of it but i want to recover on my own. literally nobody knows about my ed, not a soul. i think i might get a check up when i get there in case there are some underlying issues caused by my ed. idk how well recovering on my own will work tho. i'm trying to do it step by step. i used to p*rge three times a day and now it's only one. but i can still feel my body breaking down. it's scary but fsr my brain thinks its scarier to gain weight kmt. how about you? :smile:

I might do if it gets worse, at the moment I'm just having a small snack/meal a day but my brain keeps telling me to cut down and exercise more, I hate seeing myself in pictures/ the mirror too :frown: the thoughts were really overwhelming last night and I ended up p*rging. I understand what you mean about the weight I dread stepping on a scale. Please reach out if you're struggling though as it will be easier for people to support you and somewhat understand what you're going through so they'll know why you might act in certain ways around food

There's a support group on BEAT on Wednesdays at 6.45pm if you're interested. I'm trying to recover on my own as well, but it ain't going great sadly :frown:
I might do if it gets worse, at the moment I'm just having a small snack/meal a day but my brain keeps telling me to cut down and exercise more, I hate seeing myself in pictures/ the mirror too :frown: the thoughts were really overwhelming last night and I ended up p*rging. I understand what you mean about the weight I dread stepping on a scale. Please reach out if you're struggling though as it will be easier for people to support you and somewhat understand what you're going through so they'll know why you might act in certain ways around food

pls dont wait cos trust me u can fight it by urself i did that but i did it with my mum at my side. dont do it by urself cos the ed will take advantage of that and it will get worse. even tho id say the doctors never rlly helped me at least there constant naggin of if u do not eat u will be force fed scared me enough to eat. but get help otherwise it gets worse.
if u r gonna do it by urself first thibg first dont use the scales not even to see if ur gaining as it will make u want to loose so the number goes down. i foudn not gettin on scales help me.also eat a high carb diet and dairy especially milk and rice that stuff is winderful and haribos😂 everytime i had weekly weigh in id eat loads of haribos just to put on that extra so they wouldnt decide to section me and it worked every time.
I can but I don't want my mum to know and worry for no reason

If you're on your own you're more likely to develop the bad habits and you'll end up worrying her more if you do get Ill. You mention it: I'm just feeling like my relationship with food is a bit complicated at the moment, it's nothing to worry about but I just want a little bit of support to keep track of it. How about that? That way you someone knows you might be able to help you before you start lying to yourself that everything is fine. The good news is you're already aware that it's a bad sign rather then thinking "oh it's ok, I'm not going to go too far" and then you do. You'll be fine, you've already noticed that it's a bad mindset, I just think it's worth making sure your mum is aware to keep an eye on you. :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest