Engineering Deferred Entry Watch

Mr Zed
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I have been trying to choose a college for engineering at Cambridge and I found that the two I liked most encourage candidates to take a gap year/year in industry before taking the place.
I am not really interested in taking a year in industry before university and I was just wondering if anyone knew how this would affect my chances of an offer? Also, do you know what proportion actually do take a year out? What proportion of the years engineering students will be a year older because of this?
Thanks
acrosstheuniverse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mr Zed)
I have been trying to choose a college for engineering at Cambridge and I found that the two I liked most encourage candidates to take a gap year/year in industry before taking the place.
I am not really interested in taking a year in industry before university and I was just wondering if anyone knew how this would affect my chances of an offer? Also, do you know what proportion actually do take a year out? What proportion of the years engineering students will be a year older because of this?
Thanks
Just because they encourage a gap year does not mean it is mandatory or that they will prefer you if you take one. I seriously doubt this will affect your chances of you getting an offer, they asses you on academic ability, not on whether they can get you to defer entry. I also don't think there are many statistics on the proportion of engineering students which are older. tbh, i think you're seriously overthinking things, and trying to use statistics is seriously not the way to go.
Mr Zed
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by acrosstheuniverse)
Just because they encourage a gap year does not mean it is mandatory or that they will prefer you if you take one. I seriously doubt this will affect your chances of you getting an offer, they asses you on academic ability, not on whether they can get you to defer entry. I also don't think there are many statistics on the proportion of engineering students which are older. tbh, i think you're seriously overthinking things, and trying to use statistics is seriously not the way to go.
Ok thanks

it was just a bit surprising, as i havent seen any other uni take a stance on gap years like that at all
acrosstheuniverse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mr Zed)
Ok thanks

it was just a bit surprising, as i havent seen any other uni take a stance on gap years like that at all
Yeah, well it depends on Unis and subjects i suppose, engineering is probably one i which a gap year which could be one in industry seems more useful than other subjects. Anyway, don't pay too much attention to statistics, it just complicates things and often trying to use them doesn't work!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (148)
46.11%
Pro-humanity (173)
53.89%

Watched Threads