alemagno12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm a student from Colombia that recently graduated from 10th grade and will soon enter 11th grade. My school is bilingual and associated with Cambridge University's examinations, and we take their exams up to the IGCSE (we do take A levels, but only Math, English as a First Language and Spanish as a First Language). My teachers say I have exceptional English skills and I usually do relatively well on English gradewise, but for the last few years I've had accomodations for English class for two reasons: stress problems and word limits. I usually tend to write at least twice the word limit in practice IGCSE English questions, if not more, because I simply have way too many ideas (I don't go off-topic or dwell too much on single ideas - that used to happen before, but my teachers say that now they are relevant and distinct ideas); since I have extra time for tests and my teachers have decided to lessen or ignore word limit penalties because they believe the length of my responses demonstrates my English skills / they do not want to limit my skills by forcing me to write lower-level responses, but I earnestly wish to learn to synthesize my ideas better. With longer responses comes more work needed to do for English class and more anxiety, and I want to try to have more time this upcoming school year to strengthen my Math skills (I am planning to become a Math graduate). Does anyone have any tips for keeping my writing concise?
alemagno12
Rep:
?
Oh jesus christ I think I made that too long and formal

tl;dr I do good at English class, but I have way too many ideas and I write too much - even though I have extra time for tests and other accomodations, that increases my workload for English and leaves me with less time to do other things. How can I make my writing more concise?
alemagno12
Rep:
?
why did I post this
ArtaiH
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
haha happens to everyone, but i think you need to understand that examiners are marking hundreds of some essays, some brilliant, plenty of bad ones and even more average ones. The last thing they want to do is waste time marking something that is way too long. I recommend that say you have 5 or six ideas, narrow them down to 2 or three of the best, and focus on developing them coherently.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (9)
17.31%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (14)
26.92%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
5.77%
No, I haven't received any communication (26)
50%

Watched Threads