The Student Room Group

Can anyone else relate? People I surrounded myself with has destroyed my self esteem

Scroll to see replies

*first 2 years...

I ****ed up. I am pretty sure my sport I was involved in contributed to me feeling *****y about myself and my mental health. My course soceity has been a shambles too. I was literally walking around Prague alone as people won't open to making friends on the trip abroad as they all went with their friend groups. I messed up with my choice of societies.

@Oxford Mum
I feel like I have no value, and that my worth isn't as living until I either find a friend group or fix how I look. When I say fix how I look I mean get my bodyfat down I feel like I am 30% however I am only 71kg 5'8 and I can deadlift 180kg, squat 120kg so have some muscle. Idk...

I want to focus on my dissertation but I can't focus
You need to ditch the things that are pulling you down and focus on your dissertation. You may not want to read this, but what is the alternative?
Every year is a chance to start again. Get your priorities right and rid yourself of the toxic friends. That will be a good start.

Good luck
Original post by Oxford Mum
Every year is a chance to start again. Get your priorities right and rid yourself of the toxic friends. That will be a good start.

Good luck

Thanks

I don't know how but I will get through it. The hardest thing is just my head saying I am not good enough because my stomach or my face isn't a certain shape
Original post by Anonymous
I know this is kind of a stereotype but everyone does mature differently. I've been through some similar stuff and I can tell you honestly that if you start seeing your differences and eccentricities as strengths, pretty soon you'll be good at stuff that wouldn't even occur to them. Don't be afraid to be honest with yourself about who you actually feel you are rather than taking on what you think you should think of yourself from your friends example. I guarantee any meaning you think you see in their lives would fade very quickly, you'll have a uniqueness that will always be completely other to them. I know it's difficult now but things do get better if you stick with what's meaningful to you

Thank you. I will focus on this, and I will find a way to make things right with how I see myself.

Original post by LovelyMrFox
Have you talked to your therapist that's how you feel? :console:
I hate looking at myself in a camera as well tbh. The lighting usually makes you look much worse than you do versus looking in a mirror.
If your seeing improvements, that means your doing something right. Even if you dont look super muscular, your healthier :smile: ( which should be your main focus going to the gym )

I think finding the right clothes for me will definitely help. I need to have another what I call "style revolution" like I did when I was in sixth form :biggrin:
Nobody is happy with the way they look, but others are too bothered about their own problems to criticise your appearance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending