Deeboy1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
The title may appear quite dramatic but I’m in quite a pickle, im starting 3rd year in a social sciences degree but have only recently realised there’s no psychology (my pride and joy) in the degree! Having done social sciences from level 4 at college it has always had psychology in it and i had no idea they would part ways now.

This degree is basically useless to me and the psychology course at the uni I’m going to is full, im wondering what my options are at this rate like just apply again next year? Do the degree this year and apply to the other degree next year? Like what can i do💔
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Deeboy1)
The title may appear quite dramatic but I’m in quite a pickle, im starting 3rd year in a social sciences degree but have only recently realised there’s no psychology (my pride and joy) in the degree! Having done social sciences from level 4 at college it has always had psychology in it and i had no idea they would part ways now.

This degree is basically useless to me and the psychology course at the uni I’m going to is full, im wondering what my options are at this rate like just apply again next year? Do the degree this year and apply to the other degree next year? Like what can i do💔
Why do you want psychology in your degree? Is it for a specific career?
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I don’t really understand what’s going on.
So your about to enter 3rd year on social sciences and you want to transfer to do psychology from year 1 at another uni but it’s full?
Deeboy1
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Why do you want psychology in your degree? Is it for a specific career?
It’s what I enjoy the most out of all the social sciences, whereas in the social science degree its just history, politics and criminology two of which i loathe😂
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Deeboy1)
It’s what I enjoy the most out of all the social sciences, whereas in the social science degree its just history, politics and criminology two of which i loathe😂
2 years into a degree is quite late to change - and will be difficult to fund.
If you withdraw now and restart a full time degree in first year then you wont get any tuition fee loan for the first year of the new course.
If you complete your current degree then you wont get any funding at all (fees or living costs) for a second degree in psychology.

Arranging a transfer with only a couple of months will be tricky so you're looking at a gap year if you choose not to continue on your current course - do you have a plan for what you would do in that time?
Do you have any plans for what you'd like to do after university?
Do you think you could complete your current degree to a good standard and look at masters courses in psychology as an alternative option?
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I agree with PQ. You could do a masters psychology conversion course after completing your current undergraduate course.
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey Deeboy1! I'm inclined to agree with PQ & Phoenixfeather. Try to make the most of the degree you're currently studying and turn your focus to a Postgraduate qualification after you've completed. In the meantime, can you get stuck in with any Psychology societies or anything like that? I know it's not the same at all but this could at least give you some sort of connection with the subject you love while you're waiting to pick it up again...

-Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Deeboy1
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
2 years into a degree is quite late to change - and will be difficult to fund.
If you withdraw now and restart a full time degree in first year then you wont get any tuition fee loan for the first year of the new course.
If you complete your current degree then you wont get any funding at all (fees or living costs) for a second degree in psychology.

Arranging a transfer with only a couple of months will be tricky so you're looking at a gap year if you choose not to continue on your current course - do you have a plan for what you would do in that time?
Do you have any plans for what you'd like to do after university?
Do you think you could complete your current degree to a good standard and look at masters courses in psychology as an alternative option?
I’m just starting uni i was previously at college you see doing HN’s, but yeah the post graduate option seems really promising, thanks for the advice!
Deeboy1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Phoenixfeather99)
I agree with PQ. You could do a masters psychology conversion course after completing your current undergraduate course.
Quite relieved now knowing thats an option, cheers!
Deeboy1
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Strathclyde)
Hey Deeboy1! I'm inclined to agree with PQ & Phoenixfeather. Try to make the most of the degree you're currently studying and turn your focus to a Postgraduate qualification after you've completed. In the meantime, can you get stuck in with any Psychology societies or anything like that? I know it's not the same at all but this could at least give you some sort of connection with the subject you love while you're waiting to pick it up again...

-Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Thanks for the advice!😝
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (162)
44.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (41)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (29)
7.97%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (76)
20.88%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
9.34%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
6.04%

Watched Threads