Listening to music during study

Watch
anonymous5497
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does listening to music during study improve focus or just distract you?

NT02
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Usually listening to music that has no lyrics should be better when studying so you’re not distracted by the words in the song and instead focus on the words of what you’re studying. But then again sometimes pure silence can be better when preparing you for the feel of real exams.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can't listen to songs with lyrics, as I'll sing them (or sometimes write them in my study notes by accident!) and if I listen to classical music I'll end up analysing structure and chord patterns (thanks A Level music), so literally the only noise I can have is white noise, or a fan sound .. which does actually help me!
Advertisement
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ideally it should have no lyrics, not be too fast and not be something you really like. Slow Baroque music is the best for studying but I can still headbang to it sometimes
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i listen to classical or instrumental music if i'm studying. if i'm just doing an essay or something i'll put on a playlist of songs i like
Advertisement
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I listen to 138-140 BPM trance... Did my whole first degree that way.... Don't plan on changing anything during masters.

The fast tempo keeps me motivated and awake 😂. Probably not idea for most though.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't listen to music whilst studying.
Advertisement
lulumillie02
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anonymous5497)
Does listening to music during study improve focus or just distract you?
I don't listen to music but if you want to you can type up on YouTube 'study music' then you will find loads of videos. There are loads on Spotify too. Listening to classical and non-lyrical music is reccommended though but it depends on what helps you and what you prefer. 😀
Last edited by lulumillie02; 1 month ago
remussjhj01
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Haven't studied since a-level, but I would often either have background TV or classical music (normally my set works or pieces I was working on in my guitar lessons). I got DistAB so I guess that works okay for me.
Advertisement
Gabbyss
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It seems to me that when you do routine work, music helps so that you adjust to the rhythm and can do simple tasks faster.
Gabbyss
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not sure ... It helped me get organized by doing some of the rituals. For example, in the morning I make sure to make my bed and do a few yoga asanas to wake up. Then I have breakfast, drink coffee, but before going to my classes, I always try to wake up my brain so that by watering indoor plants I remember their names and the basic rules for caring for them. If I observe this ritual in the morning, then my day will become more productive. And besides, it makes me wake up half an hour earlier, so I never rush in the morning.
Advertisement
Bill V2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends - if it's something like maths where you're just answering questions, then yeah, but I probably wouldn't if I were writing an essay or something, as I would end up writing down the lyrics :laugh:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (45)
13.68%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
13.98%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (120)
36.47%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (33)
10.03%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (67)
20.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.47%

Watched Threads