Hollymae764
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What unis are good for biology/chemistry natural sciences. I don't enjoy ecology more molecular biology and I do not study physics at a level. Most of the natural science courses I can find from good unis require physics or have ecology and environmental biology in their bio/chem natural science course. If anyone can give suggestions to course/ unis it would be most appreciated.
indecisiveel2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey! I would suggest looking into Cambridge,Durham, Bath, Leeds, and UCL.They’re the main ones I can think of (aswell as York but they require physics I think). Look on whatuni, it’s really helpful. Durham, Leeds and UCL are particularly flexible- Bath is also but you they do mostly focus on ecology and plants in their bio stream. If you like bio and chem I suggest just looking into biochem degrees. In the Warwick and Birmingham biochem degrees you learn the chemistry separately from the human bio( I’m guessing that’s the part of bio you like) so that’s pretty good. Ngl wish I’d known about student room last year when I was making my decision because I was in the same position and didn’t know about all the options I had. Oh yeah almost forgot you can also do joint honours degrees, so you could do a joint bio and chem degree
Last edited by indecisiveel2; 1 month ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by indecisiveel2)
Exeter doesn't have a chemistry department and thus has extremely limited chemistry optional modules. It's a rather poor recommendation for anyone primarily interested in chemistry.

(Original post by Hollymae764)
What unis are good for biology/chemistry natural sciences. I don't enjoy ecology more molecular biology and I do not study physics at a level. Most of the natural science courses I can find from good unis require physics or have ecology and environmental biology in their bio/chem natural science course. If anyone can give suggestions to course/ unis it would be most appreciated.
If your main interest is in molecular biology and similar topics, alongside chemistry, I'd suggest you may be better off looking at joint honours degrees in chemistry and/with biochemistry, rather than natural sciences courses. Since the two are quite complementary areas, they're often paired in pre-existing degree programmes, whereas natural sciences programmes (other than Cambridge/Durham) tend to be more for setting up uncommon combinations of sciences or more than two science areas at a time, at least initially.

I would note though that biochemistry (by itself) doesn't entail a huge amount of chemistry, and in the UK degrees called "Biochemistry" tend to be functionally degrees in molecular and cell biology. Thus if you want to study those aspects of the fundamental biosciences alongside chemistry, you might want to keep focus on joint honours courses. That said, most chemistry courses will include some biological chemistry and often will allow you to take optional modules in molecular biology and biochemistry, so even a single honours chemistry course may permit you to take a moderate amount of bioscience options in the areas you're interested in.
indecisiveel2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Exeter doesn't have a chemistry department and thus has extremely limited chemistry optional modules. It's a rather poor recommendation for anyone primarily interested in chemistry.
Ah yes sorry I wasn’t aware. I’ll delete that part.
Dechante
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If your interests are biology and chemistry, why don't you do a biochemistry degree or biological and medicinal chemistry? It might be a good way to study biology and chemistry together as the one of the branches of natural sciences is physics. If you want to study them separately then why not consider a joint honours in biology and chemistry?
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

I am a final year NatSci student at Bath, so hopefully I can help!

I would say that Bath and Durham are probably your best bets for flexible NatSci degrees where you can really tailor your modules to your personal taste. Both Bath and Durham format their courses more like a joint honours where you choose a major and a minor subject, so you don't necessarily need physics. At Bath, the options are Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Science and Pharmacology - you choose 2 of these as you major and minor, plus an auxiliary module. This could be another science module, or one from psychology, intro to pharmacology and physiology, education, maths for life sciences or management. With biology and chemistry at A-Level, you could take any of these modules except for physics (which is fine for you!).

If you look at this webpage, and click on the document for the BSc flowchart, you can look at the modules available and how they progress from first to final year. I will outline the ones that would be relevant for you below:
BIOLOGY
You choose 2 of the 3 options:
Cell biology, which progresses onto one of genomics, molecular biology (i.e. neuroscience and developmental genetics) or more advanced cell biology.
Ecology and evolution. If you are not interested in ecology then this may not suit you, but I personally think this is the best module within biology. It focuses a lot on evolution, palaeontology and animal behaviour, and less on stereotypical ecology.
Plant biology. This may or may not appeal to you depending on which bits of environmental biology you enjoy
CHEMISTRY
Again, you choose 2 of the 3 options:
Inorganic chemistry
Organic chemistry - this is the most relevant to biology
Physical chemistry

Based on the fact that you've said you aren't that interested in ecology or environmental biology, I would suggest you also take a look at biochemistry as an option. In Bath's NatSci course, you could do any of the following biochemistry combinations (all the possible NatSci combinations can be found on this webpage):
Biochemistry major w/ Chemistry and Molecular Biology
Biochemistry with pharmacology
Chemistry major with biochemistry

If you take biochemistry, you have to do the cell biology module. For example, biochemistry major with chemistry, you would take the biochemistry module, as well as the cell biology module from Biology. You would then choose 2 of the aforementioned chemistry modules. This way you get to do biology and chemistry, but fully avoid any ecology or environmental biology!

If you are interested in the body, disease and drugs then you could also look at pharmacology. I actually started out with biology major, chemistry minor and pharmacology as my optional module, but swapped chemistry for pharmacology as my minor as I loved it so much! Pharmacology is a really interesting stream as you learn about different illnesses/diseases/health conditions, what causes them, symptoms, how you treat them, how the drugs work and how the drugs are developed.

I hope this has helped and given you some insight, but please let me know if you have any questions, on NatSci or anything else really, as I'm happy to help! You may find this thread that I started about NatSci at Bath helpful, and my answer on this thread.

Jessica, a final year NatSci student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (82)
31.06%
Less motivated (182)
68.94%

Watched Threads