neusha_yousefi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi, I'm about to make flashcards for SQL but I feel like it's going to be quite tedious and probably won't help me apply what I learn to an actual question. Can anyone recommend ways I can learn SQL for my exams? (Same goes for HTML, CSS and Javascript if you have any advice for that too).
username4750728
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Make and query actual databases
Try the w3 schools website.

OR you could use this link that builds a database and you type your queries on the second box. The database is about a shopping company. The sql version is a little old but the concepts and syntax should be the same.
http://sqlfiddle.com/#!9/e02e29
This is the er diagram for the database at the link (this is for first year uni but you should be able to understand most of it and test out sql statements if you're doing a levels) :
Name:  IMG_20200805_121034.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  98.7 KB
Try doing things like getting the names and hours worked of all employees who work on ProductX project for more than 20 hours.

(SSN is American social security number and the dependents tables are other ppl that the employee has that are linked to the same SSN, family members have same SSN, so if there is an employee who works there then their family members will be recorded in Dependent table.
Last edited by username4750728; 10 months ago
neusha_yousefi
Rep:
?
(Original post by gyuigygh)
Make and query actual databases
Try the w3 schools website.

OR you could use this link that builds a database and you type your queries on the second box. The database is about a shopping company. The sql version is a little old but the concepts and syntax should be the same.
http://sqlfiddle.com/#!9/e02e29
Thank you!
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by neusha_yousefi)
Hi, I'm about to make flashcards for SQL but I feel like it's going to be quite tedious and probably won't help me apply what I learn to an actual question. Can anyone recommend ways I can learn SQL for my exams? (Same goes for HTML, CSS and Javascript if you have any advice for that too).
Just install MySQL and get the Workbench. Have a think about you'd like the database to be for e.g. an online ordering system or maybe a content management system. Let's say you decide to make a database a CMS; then draw a diagram on paper of the different tables you think you'd need e.g. 'posts', 'threads', 'comments', 'users' etc. then what columns each of these would be and so on. After that, attempt to normalise your tables. Once you're fairly happy with what you have, you're going to implement a relational database from scratch with SQL queries. You'll need to consult the MySQL manual or online tutorials on CREATE / ALTER / UPDATE type queries to start with then keep refining it.

I work with databases and APIs on an almost daily basis and have been doing so for years in my career. Let me know if you have anymore questions. It's very important that you apply yourself practically and with real-life scenarios which is why I suggest MySQL - it's used everywhere in the real world and is free to use.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Here's an old thread I made a few years back on normalising your database. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=1879146

It's a bit outdated and it's only applicable to relational databases, not NoSQL. Also, there are cases when it's more efficient to not normalise to 3NF. Sometimes UNF is more appropriate too. When I was in high school however, the whole stages thing from UNF to 3NF was insisted upon, so if that's still the case then I hope this helps you.
neusha_yousefi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
Just install MySQL and get the Workbench. Have a think about you'd like the database to be for e.g. an online ordering system or maybe a content management system. Let's say you decide to make a database a CMS; then draw a diagram on paper of the different tables you think you'd need e.g. 'posts', 'threads', 'comments', 'users' etc. then what columns each of these would be and so on. After that, attempt to normalise your tables. Once you're fairly happy with what you have, you're going to implement a relational database from scratch with SQL queries. You'll need to consult the MySQL manual or online tutorials on CREATE / ALTER / UPDATE type queries to start with then keep refining it.

I work with databases and APIs on an almost daily basis and have been doing so for years in my career. Let me know if you have anymore questions. It's very important that you apply yourself practically and with real-life scenarios which is why I suggest MySQL - it's used everywhere in the real world and is free to use.
I'll give that a go, thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (71)
37.57%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
10.05%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.35%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (47)
24.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.23%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
7.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed