The Student Room Group

Protein accumulation

People with diabetes lose protein in their urine if it is uncontrolled over a long time.

I asked my dad if a normal, healthy person could have microalbuminuria or similar if they ate enough protein. He said no, protein gets stored in the body.

Does this mean muscle?! I thought you had to exercise and eat protein to put on muscle mass? So if I'm correct, what happens to the protein then? Where does it go?
Reply 1
Protein is not stored in the body. Wait, you're doing Medicine?
Reply 2
_Mazza_
Protein is not stored in the body. Wait, you're doing Medicine?

So how is it lost then?!

I'm about to start, yeh.
Reply 3
Fabregas1989
So how is it lost then?!

I'm about to start, yeh.

Surely you covered Deamination and Digestion in Biology?
Reply 4
Albumin is too big to loose through the kidneys unless something pathological is happening.

Not all protein you eat ends up as serum albumin.

Excess protein is eventually stored as fat. Your body cannot "store" protein for later use in the same way it can store carbs and fat.
Reply 5
Human body does not store proteins per se. Proteins you take from food are broken down to aminoacids. Those aminoacids can then be either used to synthetise new proteins wherever they are needed (all body tissues have protein components to them, not just muscle) or converted into glycogen or fat that can be stored.

If you are intrested in specifics I recomend biochemistry textbook, which will introduce you to the exact feith of those aminoacids with all the cycles and reactions involved described in wonderfull detail.:P
Reply 6
Excess protein will be converted to sugars and used or fat and stored. You'll only lose protein in your wee if there is something wrong with your kidneys (or heart/you have hypertension), so that the blood can move out of the blood stream and in to pee (usually always a problem with the glomerulus).
Reply 7
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh yeh, deamination!!! Thanks chaps /thread

Latest

Trending

Trending