abbi1_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I was originally thinking of taking maths, business and law for my a levels. However, i’m thinking maths isn’t a great option because i feel i would struggle, I got a 7 in my GCSE but i’m not sure whether to do it for a level. The other subject i was looking at is psychology because i think i would find that more interesting.
I want to study law at university so i’m not sure which would be a better a level to do, maths or psychology, considering my other a levels are law and business.
Arrnab
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't know much about taking law at uni .. but my friend is taking law and applying to Oxbridge. Their A-levels are Psychology, Politics, English Literature.
You can always try out maths in the first couple weeks and switch subjects if you don't enjoy it.
Bekki S
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by abbi1_)
I was originally thinking of taking maths, business and law for my a levels. However, i’m thinking maths isn’t a great option because i feel i would struggle, I got a 7 in my GCSE but i’m not sure whether to do it for a level. The other subject i was looking at is psychology because i think i would find that more interesting.
I want to study law at university so i’m not sure which would be a better a level to do, maths or psychology, considering my other a levels are law and business.
If you have a university in mind I'd recommend looking at the entry requirements. I'm applying to do law with French at university next year and I'm only required to have done French at a-level. If they don't require any specific subjects I'd just pick what interests you the most. But most colleges let you change subjects within the first few weeks if you find that you don't like it.
Juniboa22
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by abbi1_)
I am applying to study Law with Spanish Law at University and I currently study Law, Philosophy, Spanish, Italian and an EPQ at A level. There is usually no specific subject requirement to study law at university - though this may vary in rare cases depending from the university and course details. However, it is useful to keep in mind that essay subject are to be preferred, since they would provide you with the kind of skills to study law successfully at university. Having said this, you shouldn’t have to stress too much about your subject choice. This is because students apply to study law come from a range of different subject backgrounds. Also, in case you are thinking about practising law, you could even study a subject that it is not law at university and then do a one year conversion. It is important that you chose something that you enjoy and you think you could thrive in. An exception from this would be if you are planning to study law with a language, in which case you usually need an A level in that subject.
Last edited by Juniboa22; 1 month ago
TTSSRR101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
At a Cambridge open day for law, they told my friend not to do law at A level and prefer students who don’t take it, same for lots of unis because it’s easier to teach someone law from the beginning than reteach them as A level isn’t the best
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your A levels are fine either way so dont worry. What would be a better A level to do would be what you enjoy more. Look at psychology's specification and see if you would enjoy the topics more than you would at A level maths
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes it is easier to teach someone from the beginning since they dont have any habits from A level but they can still take A level law, if they wanted to. It's not true that they have a preference except for Trinity college because they want two facilitating subjects at all.

(Original post by TTSSRR101)
At a Cambridge open day for law, they told my friend not to do law at A level and prefer students who don’t take it, same for lots of unis because it’s easier to teach someone law from the beginning than reteach them as A level isn’t the best
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (31)
26.05%
Less motivated (88)
73.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed