akariuta
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i am going into my 2nd year at uni now and due to the virus my dad has been out of work for around 5 months so far and doesn't have any jobs coming up as far as I know. Therefore I made my parents fill in both the normal application and the CYI form.

However it cam back saying there wasn't a 15% reduction which was weird. When I asked my dad he said it was because he didn't want to give them his financial details, so he essentially made up the numbers.

What I want to know is if there is any way for student finance to find this out? Also I think I am entitled to more maintenance loan than was given to me because of his lies, should I submit another CYI form and try and get evidence that my dad is out of work?
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by akariuta)
i am going into my 2nd year at uni now and due to the virus my dad has been out of work for around 5 months so far and doesn't have any jobs coming up as far as I know. Therefore I made my parents fill in both the normal application and the CYI form.

However it cam back saying there wasn't a 15% reduction which was weird. When I asked my dad he said it was because he didn't want to give them his financial details, so he essentially made up the numbers.

What I want to know is if there is any way for student finance to find this out? Also I think I am entitled to more maintenance loan than was given to me because of his lies, should I submit another CYI form and try and get evidence that my dad is out of work?
Hi, if he lied on the Current Year Income form, this is an estimations form. If your parents send another form and if it gets accepted then next year in April we will ask for proof of the income and if it's not the same as what he wrote on the CYI form then it could cause you to go into overpayments and you will be required to pay back the money immediately(it is not the same as your normal repayment balance).

So if your dad chooses to do this then he could be seriously affecting your future finances. You should make him aware of this. It's important for parents to update us if the estimates change throughout the year to prevent any overpayment.

Thanks, Isaac
akariuta
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi, if he lied on the Current Year Income form, this is an estimations form. If your parents send another form and if it gets accepted then next year in April we will ask for proof of the income and if it's not the same as what he wrote on the CYI form then it could cause you to go into overpayments and you will be required to pay back the money immediately(it is not the same as your normal repayment balance).

So if your dad chooses to do this then he could be seriously affecting your future finances. You should make him aware of this. It's important for parents to update us if the estimates change throughout the year to prevent any overpayment.

Thanks, Isaac
it turns out he 'estimated' on all the forms I've done, so every tax year since 17/18. will this affect my application next year?
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by akariuta)
it turns out he 'estimated' on all the forms I've done, so every tax year since 17/18. will this affect my application next year?
It will only affect you if his income is different when we ask him to finalise it.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (31)
25.41%
Less motivated (91)
74.59%

Watched Threads