Watch
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by UnwantedKid)
At least not for this reason.
Maybe, maybe not. Reform is a strong word... I was heated 😂. This was for me to vent, not become a legitimate balanced debate.
UnwantedKid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
Maybe, maybe not. Reform is a strong word... I was heated 😂. This was for me to vent, not become a legitimate balanced debate.
Tbf it's a *****y situation all round. I'd be ranting too.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you don't believe UK universities need reform your probably against the norm 😂. I mean primarily in general efficiency for price requested. High price = good service... That was the point of more capitalism right? 🙄 😭 😂😂.

My uni doesn't do HEAR. There is some other system I could suggest my next uni accesses for like £20 done by prospect... But I'm trying to save that for a last resort. Because then I'll need to see if they want to do that etc etc.

I may need to pay them to do it, and i don't think they will just bill me.... I'll probably need to pay them to do that first, which i could next week when I'm on the ground there.... And since their offices are physically open.
All universities charge the same price though. If your university used a hear you’d have full access to an electronic transcript for free (like the graduates of the 90+ universities who do provide a hear). Nottingham being **** in this case is a minority situation not something that is a problem across the entire uk sector.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by gjd800)
Lecturers have **** all to do with the administration of you getting your cert, thus it is entirely possible (and likely) that they have been working their backsides off, regardless of you not having received your certification

The two are basically completely separate.
PRSOM yet again
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by gjd800)
Well yes, because people need to toe the institutional line or lose their jobs. Come on, this isn't even deep analysis, you know how this works. Every academic I know has a special disdain for administrators, but you think they can tell you that publicly? Think about it for more than ten seconds.

If you think the strikes are about having a few days off, or an excuse not to work, then you are catastrophically deluded about first the nature of academic work and second the nature of the bloc that forced through the last two rounds of strikes (and who have this year basically all been voted off the UCU NEC owing to widespread disillusionment with the strike action).

Yes, the admin is ridiculous, yes they are slow. I am having an excruciating experience of my own in this same regard. No, this does not have anything to do with academic staff.
And again
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by MalcolmX)
The University of Edinburgh use a service whereby people needing evidence of a person graduating (e.g. employers) can use a webpage to verify. It requires evidence from the consenting person.

They were also fairly quick to send out degree certificates after the results came out (3 weeks.)

Nonetheless, it is definitely sensible to recommend people to take a year out. If you start in September you get;
- No freshers week
- Lesser uni social experience
- Fewer to none in-person teaching.
- Possibility of more strikes?
- Dubious online assessment.
i understand that, but imagine the number of people who have the same understanding and want to defer a year, then all apply, along with the people who are already applying. It will be much harder to get a place.

I would have advised my sons to apply anyway for that reason, and this comes from someone whose son missed his last term at uni, and didn't get a graduation ceremony.

Conversely, if many are deferring their applications, it will be easier to get in this coming year.
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
i understand that, but imagine the number of people who have the same understanding and want to defer a year, then all apply, along with the people who are already applying. It will be much harder to get a place.

I would have advised my sons to apply anyway for that reason, and this comes from someone whose son missed his last term at uni, and didn't get a graduation ceremony.

Conversely, if many are deferring their applications, it will be easier to get in this coming year.
That's assuming the medical break through of vaccine is achieved, there are no more travel restrictions etc, and none of those potential international students parents have lost their jobs. Plus EU numbers will be non existent.

I'm not so certain that your 2021-22 admissions just bounces back pre-depression levels. That's overly optimistic fear-mongering.
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
All universities charge the same price though. If your university used a hear you’d have full access to an electronic transcript for free (like the graduates of the 90+ universities who do provide a hear). Nottingham being **** in this case is a minority situation not something that is a problem across the entire uk sector.
Wow, guess I've gotten the short end of the stick 😂. Tbf UK HE hasn't ever let me fully down except for on this one.

Strikes weren't that serious...
I enjoyed my year abroad...
Overall the experience has been good and i probably got my high 2:1 with minimal effort in comparison to countries in Europe with much higher drop out rates.....😂.

Your correct UK HE is a dream... An expensive dream but still a dream. Its not like I'll regret it once this is sorted 😂.
Sentenced_to
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Overall the experience has been good and i probably got my high 2:1 with minimal effort in comparison to countries in Europe with much higher drop out rates.....😂.
This one is actually the best reason for a reform: This is the shiny long middle finger (or the V fingers - to be appropriate) shown to the older graduates by their very own university because of the atrocious grade inflation. Yes, "the customer is always right" but there should be a limit to it.

Otherwise, I was treated like $hit during both a 1,000 GBP fee undergraduate course, as well as a 8K GBP Master's (shity department failing 1/3 of their students - I mean COMPLETE fail - not even getting a certificate fail) that was merged with another department later on. Hard evidence (yes I will name and shame this time): https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=89524 (read the sems sucks link via wayback machine if you have some extra time). To add insult to injury: Surrey now awards a 1st to 41% of their students. Thanks again uni! I surely won't overlook to donate something to you!

Thank god I am enjoying my current course (for now).…
username5362962
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I don’t teach at a university but at a college - it’s been a busy time for everyone and it’s not rare that logistical issues happen - even in normal times, certificates not sent or awards not been put into the system by the deadline. Contact the uni again or try phoning them.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I dont think there are more deferrals.

I know quite a few people who were planning on a gap year post-bachelors who are now just doing a masters instead.
At undergrad, UCAS stats show deferrals are down 1% and more people have applied (up 17%) during the lockdown months relative to last year.

I suspect people are realising deferring is a waste of time. Travel restrictions, limited jobs, its not exactly like boozing in their home town is going to be any better then uni...

I do think Unis on the whole will still be easier to get into tho;
-less international students
-low number of 18 year olds (relative to recent years)
-Unis are desperate for $$$
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
I dont think there are more deferrals.

I know quite a few people who were planning on a gap year post-bachelors who are now just doing a masters instead.
At undergrad, UCAS stats show deferrals are down 1% and more people have applied (up 17%) during the lockdown months relative to last year.

I suspect people are realising deferring is a waste of time. Travel restrictions, limited jobs, its not exactly like boozing in their home town is going to be any better then uni...

I do think Unis on the whole will still be easier to get into tho;
-less international students
-low number of 18 year olds (relative to recent years)
-Unis are desperate for $$$
Interesting, but unis will miss the international $$$ that's for sure.
Sentenced_to
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Like they expanded when there was a time for an expansion some unis should now close ore merge in order for the UK HE system to maintain some basic academic integrity. It would be better for the industry as a whole too because the once famous British academic system could soon turn into a joke. Overseas students are not idiots. If they find better value to (costantly impoving and almost free) European institutions, will just go there!
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Sentenced_to)
Like they expanded when there was a time for an expansion some unis should now close ore merge in order for the UK HE system to maintain some basic academic integrity. It would be better for the industry as a whole too because the once famous British academic system could soon turn into a joke. Overseas students are not idiots. If they find better value to (costantly impoving and almost free) European institutions, will just go there!
That's the free market economy for you. Everyone has a choice and international students are free to shop around.
UnwantedKid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I can't wait to see how they 'cope'. I'm glad I'm not at school right now. Going to university in the next few years is going to feel even more like you're just a walking wad of cash in the eyes of your university, instead of an individual person.
Sentenced_to
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
That's the free market economy for you.
Really? Thanks for letting me know!
Mustafa0605
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Coronavirus could be here for several years until a compatible vaccine or effective treatment is developed. So if you take a gap year now there is no guarantee that things won’t be the same or worse in a years time, but there is guarantee that you will lose a year of your life.
Last edited by Mustafa0605; 2 months ago
EU Yakov
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Sentenced_to)
The fact that YOU you paid is irrelevant. I am sure there would have been issues too if universities in Germany or Finland or Norway, would have done the same. Public, private, or hybrid public-private institutions should do what the are paid for regardless if payer is the direct reciever of the education or the taxpayer.
it's not

it gives the op an extra reason to have high standards because they're the ones who bore the loss

in countries where HE is 100% publicly funded, it should be students as future taxpayers, current taxpayers, and the government pushing against this shoddy responsiveness
EU Yakov
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
btw the fault seems to lie with administration staff... at least one university has had its academics told off for being mean to the administration...

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...administrators
Federer11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Mustafa0605)
Coronavirus could be here for several years until a compatible vaccine or effective treatment is developed. So if you take a gap year now there is no guarantee that things won’t be the same or worse in a years time, but there is guarantee that you will lose a year of your life.
Society will move on long before any treatment is found (which probably won’t exist). The biggest difference next year will be the loss of european students due to the doubling in fees
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (51)
16.56%
I'm not sure (8)
2.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (107)
34.74%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.3%
I'm not a current university student (138)
44.81%

Watched Threads