massive dilemma between uni and degree apprenticeship

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm in need of some totally honest opinions. I have a place for a degree apprenticeship in business at a big company, and I also have a place for sociology at a russell group uni. I've told everyone Im doing the apprenticeship and my parents are really into it and of course I can see the benefits of getting paid and getting your degree paid for. The problem is I feel like sociology is just my true love and I feel really passionate about it. I just don't feel like I can turn around now and tell everyone I've taken a backwards step and changed my mind to be 50k in debt at uni. I feel so trapped like I just have no one to talk to it about too. Please offer advice.
Confuusedstudent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm totally biased as id say degree apprenticeship all the way. its one of the reasons i've placed myself on a gap year from uni (I was doing Law). I would say that follow your heart and your gut instincts.

What do YOU want to do. I didn't pay attention to what i wanted and now ive delayed my studies, had i listened to my instinct earlier on, i could be doing what i love right now. Do you know what you want to do with sociology?

If you know you'd love the uni route then take it. Be true to yourself. yes you may be in 50k debt but you'll have a degree in something you love and possibly a job at the end of it (though that may be harder). Its that or take the apprenteship and get paid but for something you don't want to do, that may not even be beneficial to you or your chosen field.

I wouldn't do an apprenteship for engineering if its law that I wanted to do.

Hope that helps x
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Confuusedstudent)
I'm totally biased as id say degree apprenticeship all the way. its one of the reasons i've placed myself on a gap year from uni (I was doing Law). I would say that follow your heart and your gut instincts.

What do YOU want to do. I didn't pay attention to what i wanted and now ive delayed my studies, had i listened to my instinct earlier on, i could be doing what i love right now. Do you know what you want to do with sociology?

If you know you'd love the uni route then take it. Be true to yourself. yes you may be in 50k debt but you'll have a degree in something you love and possibly a job at the end of it (though that may be harder). Its that or take the apprenteship and get paid but for something you don't want to do, that may not even be beneficial to you or your chosen field.

I wouldn't do an apprenteship for engineering if its law that I wanted to do.

Hope that helps x
Thanks for that. I get that my predicament seems totally illogical as the degree apprenticeship has so many benefits, but I'm literally already planning to do a masters in soc straight after and I don't think I should go into it with that mindset. I think my mind is made up but I have no idea how to tell everyone after just telling them I'm doing the da. Out of interest are you applying to one of the new-ish solicitor apprenticeships?
Confuusedstudent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks for that. I get that my predicament seems totally illogical as the degree apprenticeship has so many benefits, but I'm literally already planning to do a masters in soc straight after and I don't think I should go into it with that mindset. I think my mind is made up but I have no idea how to tell everyone after just telling them I'm doing the da. Out of interest are you applying to one of the new-ish solicitor apprenticeships?
No i haven't really looked into it. My brain is just frazzled at the moment. But i don't even know where to start with websites and things like that. But yeah maybe tell them over tea or something, do it when you feel that its right. If they tell you to do something else ignore it listen to your heart, and make your own choices.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (28)
19.18%
No (118)
80.82%

Watched Threads