Is writing a methodology last a good idea?

Watch
LDS0507
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My supervisor has said instead of writing in order of the chapters of my dissertation (Intro, then lit review, then methodology, followed by results, analysis, and then conclusion) it could be an idea to skip the methodology for now (i've completed lit review and intro, and I only have six weeks now) and get stuck into collecting data and analysing and writing this bit up - is this a good idea? My peers i've spoke to seem to have it written already?
NCTA
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LDS0507)
My supervisor has said instead of writing in order of the chapters of my dissertation (Intro, then lit review, then methodology, followed by results, analysis, and then conclusion) it could be an idea to skip the methodology for now (i've completed lit review and intro, and I only have six weeks now) and get stuck into collecting data and analysing and writing this bit up - is this a good idea? My peers i've spoke to seem to have it written already?
Im going to assume this is an MSc dissertation. Six weeks is still a good enough time so I wouldnt panic yet.
My flow is usually methodolgy > results > intro/lit review > discussion, conclusion. This is because methodology doesnt take long and is the easiest for me. And once Ive organised my results, I get a better idea of what I want to focus on/include in my lit review so that theres a nice link between the two chapters. Ofcourse, i have a draft of the lit review and finish data collection before hand.
I would advise not to waste time thinking what to write. Stick with what you are comfortable with. Whatever section you can get done, do it. You can perfect it at the end, after you have all the content.
LDS0507
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by NCTA)
Im going to assume this is an MSc dissertation. Six weeks is still a good enough time so I wouldnt panic yet.
My flow is usually methodolgy > results > intro/lit review > discussion, conclusion. This is because methodology doesnt take long and is the easiest for me. And once Ive organised my results, I get a better idea of what I want to focus on/include in my lit review so that theres a nice link between the two chapters. Ofcourse, i have a draft of the lit review and finish data collection before hand.
I would advise not to waste time thinking what to write. Stick with what you are comfortable with. Whatever section you can get done, do it. You can perfect it at the end, after you have all the content.
Thanks for the reply! Think i'm just concerned as it's a dissertation of between 13,500-15,000; i'm using case study analysis (looking at two natural disasters and NGO's involvement in them, basically) and i've got done the methodology as 3,000 words 🤔 it just seems a lot of words just to say my aims, benefits of case study analysis and then contexts to the locations?
QuentinM
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LDS0507)
My background is more molecular biology, however generally I've written reports in the order they are read. I've been encouraged during Masters degrees to write my introduction as soon as I start the project (obviously you are now in a different situation), then write up the methods while you are doing them, because its incredibly quick and generally easy.

If you still have over a month, I wouldn't be worried especially if you've started it-as long as it all gets done (and you have plenty of time), I don't see any issues
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (42)
13.29%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
14.56%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (112)
35.44%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (32)
10.13%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (67)
21.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (17)
5.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed