The Student Room Group

How do you pray?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by slothonist
so I'm a Muslim and try to pray the 5 prescribed prayers on time but sometimes I do miss them
Apart from that, I do make my own supplications such as thanking God for everything he's blessed me with, asking for forgiveness and asking for things I want such as good exam results etc.
I'd usually do this at least once a day and I feel most peaceful doing this sitting on my bedroom floor 😊

Same here. I tend to do that extra praying before going to sleep, though for the past month or so it has literally been me screaming 'please forgive all the sins of humanity and make covid go away' over and over again in my head under the duvet... :laugh:
Original post by spqr101
Same here. I tend to do that extra praying before going to sleep, though for the past month or so it has literally been me screaming 'please forgive all the sins of humanity and make covid go away' over and over again in my head under the duvet... :laugh:

HAHAHA OMG I used to do this in the early stages of covid! But then I started seeing some benefits of the pandemic and was amazed at how there really is good in everything, and we need to trust God's plan 😄
I'm a muslim so I pray 5 x a day.I liek being relaxed when I do it,so my fairy lights are all on,my phone is off,and I've put a little makeup(mascara,gloss)after wudhu(a special wash to make sure ur clean before prayer)
Before bed.
ahh i try, and am only really successful when my mental health doesn't get in the way, but yeah about 3 times a day, when i wake up, during the day and before bed, i try to keep them brief because of my MH though :smile:
OCD, it is similar to schizophrenia when you have internal voices but there are thoughts in my head and my case is quite moderate so i panic a lot, i might have an episode, which is like a panic attack i call it an OCD attack, when i experience disassociation because of what's going in my head, and at that point i call it quits, not great but yeah
Original post by Paracosm
Thread cleaned up and moved :smile:

thank you so much!! :yep:
Original post by Joleee
same :smile: well i like to take long walks and listen to worship songs and sermons, and meditate on the words. feels mentally and physically good and there's something about being in nature, i find.

pretty bad at praying otherwise. lol :angelblush:

oh, i totally agree with this. it's something about being peaceful and just focusing on god's creation and the calmness around you. :yep:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
It's a bit hard to describe how I pray. After I developed psychosis and experienced other traumas, my prayer style radically changed :erm: I pray in wordless thoughts and images :dontknow: The best way to kinda give you an idea is that I toss various thoughts and prayers at God throughout the day, without dwelling too much on them. Like tossing a pancake to the sky and then God catches it :colondollar: I guess it's quite an informal (and for me at least, feels an irreverent) form of prayer :erm:

When it comes to prayers with words, I can pray set prayers - e.g. Hail Mary, Our Father, the rosary, the Mass - alright but struggle to use words to say my own prayers :sad: If I have a serious prayer intention, I try to say at least a decade of the rosary (Catholic prayer bead thing), if not a whole one, but I find that a struggle tbh :redface:

this is really, really interesting - especially the casually thrown prayers. i can understand in a way how that would be nice - it's like quick check ups with God throughout the day. I like that idea :yep:

I am the total opposite when it comes to the set prayer thing - I lose the meaning quickly because they're too formal and don't focus on what I want to pray about. I love my own prayers because they're personal and more emotional for me, but to each their own. :smile:
Original post by slothonist
so I'm a Muslim and try to pray the 5 prescribed prayers on time throughout the day
Apart from that, I do make my own supplications such as thanking God for everything he's blessed me with, asking for forgiveness and asking for things I want such as good exam results etc.
I'd usually do this at least once a day and I feel most peaceful doing this sitting on my bedroom floor 😊

this is really lovely. :yep:

it sounds very therapeutic and intimate! It's so good that you have that commitment to God by doing the 5 prayers plus extra. that's inspiring for sure! :smile:
Original post by Chocolatecakexx
I'm a muslim so I pray 5 x a day.I liek being relaxed when I do it,so my fairy lights are all on,my phone is off,and I've put a little makeup(mascara,gloss)after wudhu(a special wash to make sure ur clean before prayer)

this sounds really nice and peaceful. I think I might try that next time I pray. :yep:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
It's a bit hard to describe how I pray. After I developed psychosis and experienced other traumas, my prayer style radically changed :erm: I pray in wordless thoughts and images :dontknow: The best way to kinda give you an idea is that I toss various thoughts and prayers at God throughout the day, without dwelling too much on them. Like tossing a pancake to the sky and then God catches it :colondollar: I guess it's quite an informal (and for me at least, feels an irreverent) form of prayer :erm:

When it comes to prayers with words, I can pray set prayers - e.g. Hail Mary, Our Father, the rosary, the Mass - alright but struggle to use words to say my own prayers :sad: If I have a serious prayer intention, I try to say at least a decade of the rosary (Catholic prayer bead thing), if not a whole one, but I find that a struggle tbh :redface:

yep yep same, my MH seriously had a knock on effect on my prayer and my catholic faith in general, i understand that part of the tossing various thoughts to God without dwelling on them too much, else i may experience an episode, but i do what i can :smile:
I normally pray just before I go to sleep, but sometimes I make my room nice and comfortable, whack on some worship music and just meditate and wait on the Holy Spirit :cute:
I don’t believe in religion but sometimes I pray and say “to any god out there, please help XYZ” it’s usually me asking for help. I know there’s a god out there
Original post by laurawatt
I normally pray just before I go to sleep, but sometimes I make my room nice and comfortable, whack on some worship music and just meditate and wait on the Holy Spirit :cute:

that sounds absolutely brilliant.

i've had a time before where i was on holiday and i just layed on my bed with my earphones in listening to worship music with my hands together for like an hour with my eyes shut (half sleeping). i really, really felt spiritual presence and it was lovely. :yep:
Original post by Angelic Roar
I don’t believe in religion but sometimes I pray and say “to any god out there, please help XYZ” it’s usually me asking for help. I know there’s a god out there

totally fair! some may call this 'agnostic', though there's no need to place any kind of label on religion (or anything, for that matter!). :smile:

it's nice just to let your thoughts escape your brain, whoever you're saying it to. :yep:
Original post by yzanne
totally fair! some may call this 'agnostic', though there's no need to place any kind of label on religion (or anything, for that matter!). :smile:

it's nice just to let your thoughts escape your brain, whoever you're saying it to. :yep:

Yh I say just not religious

defo 100%
in he morning
in the afternoon
in the early evening
in the everning
in the noght
i am muslim we call this as salah
What is your religion? I am a Christian ✝️💜🤍
Original post by jae jae
What is your religion? I am a Christian ✝️💜🤍

christiannnn :jebus: