The Student Room Group

Does my boss like me as a person or was this said in a purely professional way?

I have a good working relationship with one of my collegues (he has just been promoted to manager) Ive helped him quite a lot. today we were both in the office and I was probably looking nervous getting my jobs done and he said quietly ‘keely, you do know I appreciate you dont you’ I got embarrased and probably muttered ‘yea’ he said ‘good, i just want you to know. Its just its rare you can get someone you can rely on /trust in a team’( or something along those lines). There was a long silence then I said ‘yea i appreciate all of you’. Truth is I appreciate him also and all the support he’s given me. Im not great with people though and come across as very offish when in fact id like to get to know him more.

Was what he said meant in a purely professional/work related way or do you think he’d like to be friends, I dont mean relationship dont get me wrong
Original post by Anonymous
I have a good working relationship with one of my collegues (he has just been promoted to manager) Ive helped him quite a lot. today we were both in the office and I was probably looking nervous getting my jobs done and he said quietly ‘keely, you do know I appreciate you dont you’ I got embarrased and probably muttered ‘yea’ he said ‘good, i just want you to know. Its just its rare you can get someone you can rely on /trust in a team’( or something along those lines). There was a long silence then I said ‘yea i appreciate all of you’. Truth is I appreciate him also and all the support he’s given me. Im not great with people though and come across as very offish when in fact id like to get to know him more.

Was what he said meant in a purely professional/work related way or do you think he’d like to be friends, I dont mean relationship dont get me wrong

whatever his intentions...nuffin to stress about.....
He was probably just letting you know that he appreciates you professionally. It seems like a nice thing to say anyway.
Reply 3
He was probably just letting you know that he appreciates you professionally. It seems like a nice thing to say anyway.

Ya thanks it is I think its just cause i dont cause him any stress he tells me to do do something and i just do it without having my own plan/agenda. Only trouble is the others say i bow down to people they think im a bit of an ass licker i think.
Original post by Beta123456
this a coding only wired my men simply meaning he wants to put biscoff spread all over you arse and gave 2 kids in the subarn with you:smile:

As much as i regret it, this is the camp I'm probably gonna have to be in on this one 😂.
Ya thanks it is I think its just cause i dont cause him any stress he tells me to do do something and i just do it without having my own plan/agenda. Only trouble is the others say i bow down to people they think im a bit of an ass licker i think.

They seem a bit jealous. You’re just getting on with your job without any fuss, which is probably quite rare nowadays. Don’t listen to them.
Reply 6
Original post by Beta123456
this a coding only wired my men simply meaning he wants to put biscoff spread all over you arse and gave 2 kids in the subarn with you:smile:

Only thing ive not said is he’s taken and so is way out of bounds so obviously freiendship = maybe but anything more has got to be a no go. If he was single that would be completely different but he’s not so its friendship im asking about here.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
As much as i regret it, this is the camp I'm probably gonna have to be in on this one 😂.

I’m sure you don’t regret it
Reply 8
They seem a bit jealous. You’re just getting on with your job without any fuss, which is probably quite rare nowadays. Don’t listen to them.

I think this is it, i think some managers value creative ideas and activeness but he’s just happy if someone dies there job and stays safe. It is healthcare and lives at risk after all. I also value people who just get on with their job without moaning,fuss or trying to change everything. Others will disagree
My manager said something similar today

Usually 'thank you' followed by a 'you're welcome' (end of conversation) is an appropriate response to a compliment in social situations...
Original post by conorellis42
Usually 'thank you' followed by a 'you're welcome' (end of conversation) is an appropriate response to a compliment in social situations...

Well yea but I dont think of this at the time do I Im just doomed to make myself look foolish. I kind of just turned away cause i was embarrased Id be more than happy to go back In time snd correct this/thank him for his support
Well yea but I dont think of this at the time do I Im just doomed to make myself look foolish. I kind of just turned away cause i was embarrased Id be more than happy to go back In time snd correct this/thank him for his support

If it is ambigious whether such a person has an ulterior motive, take what they say literally. If they push you further beyond this, you'll know how to adapt accordingly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending