Housing a Canary bird & Syrian Hamster together (need advice)

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys,

So I wasn't sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm planning on getting a canary bird (1) and a Syrian Hamster (1) since they prefer living alone.

Now I know Syrian Hamsters are nocturnal while a canary bird goes to sleep once the sun sets.

I live in a small studio flat and I'm usually awake till 1 am watching TV/finishing up some work on my laptop and listening to music at times. I guess I'm more concerned about the Canary bird being distracted by A) tv sounds, songs, etc and B) from the noises the Syrian Hamster would produce such as squeaks/running on its wheel, etc.

I dont have much space to put their cages across the room and would most probably have their cages placed near each other.

Would the sounds distract the Canary bird's sleep or is it fine?

Thank you and sorry once again if this is in the wrong place.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
So for the hamster , you can actually train it to be awake during the day and sleep at night . I know it’s not natural by I had my hamster do that when I was younger ( like 7 years ago) and she lived a year longer than she was meant to so it’s not like it affects their health
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
So for the hamster , you can actually train it to be awake during the day and sleep at night . I know it’s not natural by I had my hamster do that when I was younger ( like 7 years ago) and she lived a year longer than she was meant to so it’s not like it affects their health
Thank you for your response. In case I can't train it to do that, would my hamster's noise affect the bird's sleep? Would sounds from the tv/music affect its sleep too?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for your response. In case I can't train it to do that, would my hamster's noise affect the bird's sleep? Would sounds from the tv/music affect its sleep too?
I’ll do some research for you and see what I can find about canary birds sleeping patterns and what affects them etc and will put it in this thread later on
Anonymous #1
I’ll do some research for you and see what I can find about canary birds sleeping patterns and what affects them etc and will put it in this thread later on
Thank you so much you beautiful stranger! I really appreciate it
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much you beautiful stranger! I really appreciate it
Are you able to comment off on anonymous so that I am able to pm you?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Of*
Moonbow
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey guys,

So I wasn't sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm planning on getting a canary bird (1) and a Syrian Hamster (1) since they prefer living alone.

Now I know Syrian Hamsters are nocturnal while a canary bird goes to sleep once the sun sets.

I live in a small studio flat and I'm usually awake till 1 am watching TV/finishing up some work on my laptop and listening to music at times. I guess I'm more concerned about the Canary bird being distracted by A) tv sounds, songs, etc and B) from the noises the Syrian Hamster would produce such as squeaks/running on its wheel, etc.

I dont have much space to put their cages across the room and would most probably have their cages placed near each other.

That’s absolutely fine! I keep finches and had a hamster, and a few unusual pets and they all didn’t bother one another
satisfactionatlast
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you able to comment off on anonymous so that I am able to pm you?
sure
satisfactionatlast
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Moonbow)
That’s absolutely fine! I keep finches and had a hamster, and a few unusual pets and they all didn’t bother one another
That's a relief thank you!
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
CoolCavy might be able to offer some assistance. :holmes:
Moonbow
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by satisfactionatlast)
That's a relief thank you!
No problem! 😊
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
Hey guys,

This would I believe be my thread of the week.
satisfactionatlast
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why 😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (54)
25.47%
Less motivated (158)
74.53%

Watched Threads