The Student Room Group

How to stop having flashbacks

I have been experiencing flashbacks from my past in the last week. I can't think about anything else apart from these flashbacks. It causes me great stress, worry and anxiety. How and what can I do to stop this from happening?
Reply 1
Are the flashbacks trauma related? If yes, then it might be worth working on it through therapy.
Reply 2
Original post by Pathway
Are the flashbacks trauma related? If yes, then it might be worth working on it through therapy.

Yes it is trauma related. I don't think therapy will help that much.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Yes it is trauma related. I don't think therapy will help that much.

Have you tried it?
Reply 4
Original post by Pathway
Have you tried it?

No.
Reply 5
No.

As much as I respect your position (I felt similarly to be honest), therapy really can help with trauma related difficulties and getting better management of them. You have to be in a safe mindset to be able to tolerate it though, depending on your area/trauma they might have services to help with that as well. There are some self-help books as well, The Body Keeps the Score being the main one that I can think of (although it can be triggering, so read at your own risk).

Stopping flashbacks starts with processing the trauma. By default that will be difficult. That's part of recovery from trauma.
Go out with family and friends and get a hobby to get your mind off negative thoughts. It's important to keep motivated.
I have been experiencing flashbacks from my past in the last week. I can't think about anything else apart from these flashbacks. It causes me great stress, worry and anxiety. How and what can I do to stop this from happening?

If it’s trauma related I think you should maybe keep yourself busy so then you will somehow forget about it and focus on that thing,Try not to daydream so you don’t get flashbacks 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending