Mustafa2021
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
There are 28 required practices for science.
My original plan was to write down a perfect 6/6 model answer for the questions for each RP and then memorise it.
Do you think this way is fine?
Do you think there is an easier way?
L-K
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, I don't think this is a good way. What do you mean by all the questions? I teach it and if I were to write all the possible questions that could come up on a practical I would have hundreds.
It's far better to actually understand what is happening in the practical and then apply knowledge to the question. Also, exam boards like to mix it up and change the practical a little for each paper (e.g. I've seen photosynthesis questions on coloured filters, light intensity or carbon dioxide concentration using all sorts of different equipment) memorised robotic answers would be useless.
Recall of facts will be unlikely to get you more than a grade 4, you must be able to apply your knowledge to unfamiliar situations.
Mustafa2021
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by L-K)
No, I don't think this is a good way. What do you mean by all the questions? I teach it and if I were to write all the possible questions that could come up on a practical I would have hundreds.
It's far better to actually understand what is happening in the practical and then apply knowledge to the question. Also, exam boards like to mix it up and change the practical a little for each paper (e.g. I've seen photosynthesis questions on coloured filters, light intensity or carbon dioxide concentration using all sorts of different equipment) memorised robotic answers would be useless.
Recall of facts will be unlikely to get you more than a grade 4, you must be able to apply your knowledge to unfamiliar situations.
So how do you suggest that I learn these practices.
Just get taught them once in school? There needs to be a way to revise them and watching a video of each practical and making notes, then going over the notes multiple time so they are in my memory seem like a fine way to learn them. Further more, the way a practical is shown is similar in every video therefore the variety of questions should be in a boundary wherein by the notes I have taken, I should be.
L-K
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mustafa2021)
Just get taught them once in school? There needs to be a way to revise them and watching a video of each practical and making notes, then going over the notes multiple time so they are in my memory seem like a fine way to learn them. Further more, the way a practical is shown is similar in every video therefore the variety of questions should be in a boundary wherein by the notes I have taken, I should be.
Watching videos and making notes sounds much better, that's not what you implied from your first post. There are also many knowledge organisers, help sheets and example questions available online. I can send you resources if you struggle to find things. Good luck
MusicalMe101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mustafa2021)
If you remember the steps in the practicals and understand the theory of the reactions and processes taking place then you should be all set, as a key part in answering the question well is being able to apply your knowledge to a different scenario. The variety of questions is endless, they may ask you about a practical which is similar to the one you did, but different in it's own way and you will need to answer the question as best as you can even though you never did that particular practical.

Your original plan will not work as there are many questions that could be asked for one particular practical so you will not be able to write a perfect answer that you can apply to any question you are given. I suggest you revise the practicals in detail and then condense the information and write it onto one side of a flashcard to look at every now and then to refresh your knowledge of the key points or things you struggle to remember.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (28)
18.92%
No (120)
81.08%

Watched Threads