The Student Room Group

LNAT Help!

Hi ,
I was wondering if i were to send off my UCAS application around the 9th of October for-

Cambridge
Durham
Bristol
Nottingham
Manchester

Would it matter if I did my LNAT much later in november/december?
Could someone please explain how it works as well, for example- Would the Unis receive my application but then neglect it until they get an LNAT score later on? When are offers normally made then ?

Is it best to instead apply then aim to sit the LNAT shortly after around mid October?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(p.s was unsure whether this goes in the Law forum or UCAS forum)
Reply 1
hi!
so i applied to oxford, bristol, UCL, manchester and sheffield last year (sent application on 24 sept) and wondered the same thing.

for oxbridge, they usually need your LNAT to be sat before the end of october (mine was before 24 october 2019 for oxford) because the LNAT scores are sent to your universities in two batches, essentially. I'm assuming its the same since Cambridge is one of your options which is an earlier application than the others so you will need to ask them for the exact date by which you need to take the LNAT if they havent given you one. Cambridge will need your results in the first batch they are sent out so they are able to consider your application in full and decide if they want to give you an interview for december. i found this on the LNAT website for this year:

"Starting on 21 October, the first batch of LNAT scores (tests taken between 1 September to 20 October) are released to the universities to download. After that date, within 24 hours of finishing your LNAT, Pearson VUE will make your LNAT score and essay available for download by your chosen university or universities. They will see your score before you do."

I appreciate that the exact dates may vary for you, so have a look on their website or contact cambridge university about it. they will not consider your application if you do not take it in time.

as for your other universities, i dont think they have a date by which you need to take the LNAT and so they will just consider your application as soon as theyre able to see your score and essay. if you get it done asap due to cambridge, this may be quicker too.

best of luck, and make sure you book it as soon as you can before it fills up! i had a friend who took his test too late and oxford didn't consider his application as a result.
Reply 2
oh and!! i just found this:

1st August: LNAT registration begins.
1st September: LNAT testing begins
5th October: Deadline for booking LNAT test (Oxbridge applicants only)
20th October: Deadline for sitting the exam (Oxbridge applicants only)
15th January: Deadline for booking LNAT test (all other universities)
20th January: Deadline for sitting LNAT test (all other universities)

-- i used a website for this info which you can access using this:
https://www.whatuni.com/advice/applying-to-uni/everything-you-need-to-know-about-lnat/69329/#:~:text=20th%20October%3A%20Deadline%20for%20sitting,LNAT%20test%20(all%20other%20universities)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by jasmeenx
hi!
so i applied to oxford, bristol, UCL, manchester and sheffield last year (sent application on 24 sept) and wondered the same thing.

for oxbridge, they usually need your LNAT to be sat before the end of october (mine was before 24 october 2019 for oxford) because the LNAT scores are sent to your universities in two batches, essentially. I'm assuming its the same since Cambridge is one of your options which is an earlier application than the others so you will need to ask them for the exact date by which you need to take the LNAT if they havent given you one. Cambridge will need your results in the first batch they are sent out so they are able to consider your application in full and decide if they want to give you an interview for december. i found this on the LNAT website for this year:

"Starting on 21 October, the first batch of LNAT scores (tests taken between 1 September to 20 October) are released to the universities to download. After that date, within 24 hours of finishing your LNAT, Pearson VUE will make your LNAT score and essay available for download by your chosen university or universities. They will see your score before you do."

I appreciate that the exact dates may vary for you, so have a look on their website or contact cambridge university about it. they will not consider your application if you do not take it in time.

as for your other universities, i dont think they have a date by which you need to take the LNAT and so they will just consider your application as soon as theyre able to see your score and essay. if you get it done asap due to cambridge, this may be quicker too.

best of luck, and make sure you book it as soon as you can before it fills up! i had a friend who took his test too late and oxford didn't consider his application as a result.

thankyou so much for such a detailed answer!

I think the issue I'm having is the fact i know Cambridge want their application in by October, but the issue is they don't require the LNAT . They have their own test called the CLT. So i just wanted to know whether it was okay to apply to the rest at the same time and then sit the teat accordingly for the rest (deadline for the rest is in Jan but i obviously want to get it done before that ,i just want to know around how much later after you send off the application should you sit the test)
Reply 4
Original post by Studentboy1333
thankyou so much for such a detailed answer!

I think the issue I'm having is the fact i know Cambridge want their application in by October, but the issue is they don't require the LNAT . They have their own test called the CLT. So i just wanted to know whether it was okay to apply to the rest at the same time and then sit the teat accordingly for the rest (deadline for the rest is in Jan but i obviously want to get it done before that ,i just want to know around how much later after you send off the application should you sit the test)

ahhh i see! that makes sense. sorry, i was responding according to my experience with my oxford application!

but i understand your concern. personally, i would recommend just getting it out of the way. due to the fact that i did mine in october, i actually got responses from two of my other universities soon after. although this isnt guaranteed and they can still take ages (ehem, UCL) it is worth doing it asap so you can focus on your alevels because year 13 is hectic from the offset.

oh and if i remember correctly, manchester dont require an LNAT test so they should get back to you relatively quickly (although again, not guaranteed). the other unis will wait for your test results though so be mindful of that when picking a test date.

all in all, choice is yours but i would recommend doing it as soon as you are able so you can focus on your studies straight away :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by jasmeenx
ahhh i see! that makes sense. sorry, i was responding according to my experience with my oxford application!

but i understand your concern. personally, i would recommend just getting it out of the way. due to the fact that i did mine in october, i actually got responses from two of my other universities soon after. although this isnt guaranteed and they can still take ages (ehem, UCL) it is worth doing it asap so you can focus on your alevels because year 13 is hectic from the offset.

oh and if i remember correctly, manchester dont require an LNAT test so they should get back to you relatively quickly (although again, not guaranteed). the other unis will wait for your test results though so be mindful of that when picking a test date.

all in all, choice is yours but i would recommend doing it as soon as you are able so you can focus on your studies straight away :smile:

I understand , the quicker it's done with the better anyway , thank you so much!
Original post by Studentboy1333
Hi ,
I was wondering if i were to send off my UCAS application around the 9th of October for-

Cambridge
Durham
Bristol
Nottingham
Manchester

Would it matter if I did my LNAT much later in november/december?
Could someone please explain how it works as well, for example- Would the Unis receive my application but then neglect it until they get an LNAT score later on? When are offers normally made then ?

Is it best to instead apply then aim to sit the LNAT shortly after around mid October?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(p.s was unsure whether this goes in the Law forum or UCAS forum)

The way it works is that non LNAT unis like Manchester could make you an early conditional offer based on your predicted grades (and to an extent personal statement, etc) but LNAT unis like Durham, Bristol and Notts will not make you offers until after they have received your LNAT results.

This was the LNAT thread from last year

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6116192
Hey people! I am have been through the UCAS application trice (as I am an international student and took 2 gap years) so I have had some experience and successes with the applications. It is undoubtedly a stressful time for all and I also understand that the personal statement process is rather difficult. This is why I just wanna share some of the pointers I have learnt after my 3 application cycles of which I got offers from UCL, KCL, LSE law and was interviewed at Oxford for law.

Currently, I am studying law in Singapore and am working to produce some youtube videos to hopefully help those who would appreciate some additional perspective out there:smile: (although I am a law applicant, some of the tips for writing personal statements are quite general and would be useful across all subjects)

-How to write UCAS Law personal statement (SG/Intenrnational/UK)?: https://youtu.be/yefvia0xnUQ

-How to prepare for UK Law apps (int/SG): Oxford Admission Stats + LNAT + deadlines: https://youtu.be/6Fv_zkd3jCM

Quick Reply

Latest