The Student Room Group

How tough is doing entire maths a level and exam in year 12?

Because I’m doing further maths in year 12 from September, alongside maths and physics, I have to do the entire maths a level in year 12 and the exam and the end of year 12. We then Start further in year 13. How tough is this? As i want to go imperial and they require an A star in maths

Scroll to see replies

:colonhash: as you're doing fm; normal a level maths is gon be really hard as most likely yall rushed through the content (during yr12) so you've got the basics on lock but won't be able to do the gruelling 6 mark implicit differentiations etc.

Year 13 is when you start understanding the nitty gritty bits. Those doing normal maths are constantly practicing and still find it hard so as a fm student, don't neglect it :h:
Reply 2
Original post by astayuno
:colonhash: as you're doing fm; normal a level maths is gon be really hard as most likely yall rushed through the content (during yr12) so you've got the basics on lock but won't be able to do the gruelling 6 mark implicit differentiations etc.

Year 13 is when you start understanding the nitty gritty bits. Those doing normal maths are constantly practicing and still find it hard so as a fm student, don't neglect it :h:

Yh I mean we don’t start further untill year 13, so I’m assuming as I’m doing just three a levels, I will just be doing maths pretty much in year 12
Reply 3
Original post by Fifty345
Because I’m doing further maths in year 12 from September, alongside maths and physics, I have to do the entire maths a level in year 12 and the exam and the end of year 12. We then Start further in year 13. How tough is this? As i want to go imperial and they require an A star in maths

Doing the whole of A levels maths in year 12 AND getting an A* in it? Great death wish you got there mate
Yh I mean we don’t start further untill year 13, so I’m assuming as I’m doing just three a levels, I will just be doing maths pretty much in year 12

Ooh i see, our school only taught A2 pure maths and AS mech/stats in year 12 and got onto FM, they then finished off the A2 mech/stats in normal maths whilst touching up on the pure then finishing off FM, as you're not going to do much of normal maths in yr 13 be sure to stay on top of it !!!
Well maths is hard there are only three people doing it in my sixth form so good luck. But are u talking about the core maths which u take in year 12, everyone said it’s a lot of work, u need to be very good at maths to do well in it tbh. At the start of the year there was like 15 or so kids maybe more doing it now there are less than 5.
(edited 3 years ago)

This is quite common for further maths - I did them both side by side so I can’t personally say how hard it is doing it like that.
Further Maths is hard and they will go fast through the content. Make sure you’re on top of all the GCSE maths content (and if you’ve done ad maths/ further maths GCSE get on that). However, if it’s too much, you can always drop down to just single maths easily so I’d say give it a go! It’s a lot easier to start off doing it then decide it’s not for you than trying to join and catch up!
Reply 7
Original post by Geraldthegoat
Well maths is hard there are only three people doing it in my sixth form so good luck. But are u talking about the core maths which u take in year 12, everyone said it’s a lot of work, u need to be very good at maths to do well in it tbh. At the start of the year there was like 15 or so kids maybe more doing it now there are less than 5.

We do the entire a level maths course In year 12. Take exam at end of year 12. Then do further in year 13
Reply 8
Original post by astayuno
Ooh i see, our school only taught A2 pure maths and AS mech/stats in year 12 and got onto FM, they then finished off the A2 mech/stats in normal maths whilst touching up on the pure then finishing off FM, as you're not going to do much of normal maths in yr 13 be sure to stay on top of it !!!

Yh I mean we are doing the entire a level maths course in just year 12
Reply 9
Original post by The RAR
Doing the whole of A levels maths in year 12 AND getting an A* in it? Great death wish you got there mate

Not possible ur saying?
Reply 10

IT'S VERY POSSIBLE. with a lot of hard work, constant revision and you kind of need to love maths.
I went through this system,(and I dont even like maths so it was hell) it's gruelling and tiring but you have to stick with your classmates. even though very few in my class got A*s, it's not impossible, just very difficult. but keep a good work ethic and start doing questions and homework as soon as you get home because falling behind is not an option!! these classes will seem absolutely ridiculous at first since they just expect you to absorb information at light speed. and please please please do not get discouraged by a bad grade, it's about picking yourself up again!!

Further maths is a whole other level but you do not need to worry about that yet!! just keep on your toes, ALWAYS ASK FOR HELP when you need it. if you dont understand something, get help as soon as possible. you're not being dumb believe me, some people (like me) are slow learners.

you'll get used to the speed :smile: x
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11

If you did Additional Maths at GCSE then you would have done half of the content (Additional Maths is essentially AS Maths) so you would only have one years' worth of content to learn in one year (which is possible).
Reply 12
Original post by mxxnal
IT'S VERY POSSIBLE. with a lot of hard work, constant revision and you kind of need to love maths.
I went through this system,(and I dont even like maths so it was hell) it's gruelling and tiring but you have to stick with your classmates. even though very few in my class got A*s, it's not impossible, just very difficult. but keep a good work ethic and start doing questions and homework as soon as you get home because falling behind is not an option!! these classes will seem absolutely ridiculous at first since they just expect you to absorb information at light speed. and please please please do not get discouraged by a bad grade, it's about picking yourself up again!!

Further maths is a whole other level but you do not need to worry about that yet!! just keep on your toes, ALWAYS ASK FOR HELP when you need it. if you dont understand something, get help as soon as possible. you're not being dumb believe me, some people (like me) are slow learners.

you'll get used to the speed :smile: x

Thanks so did u do the entire maths a level course in year 12 and do the exam at the end of year 12? Is so, how did u cope and what grade did u get?

My sister ****ed up her a levels and then decided to do all of the maths course In her retake year, so she had to do two years worth of work alongside bio and chemistry, and she managed to get an A*. I think it can deffo be done but she was very very focused... she had to drop all extra curriculars and get a tutor which helped. You'll be fine, its all about priorities
Reply 14
Original post by rachel7423
My sister ****ed up her a levels and then decided to do all of the maths course In her retake year, so she had to do two years worth of work alongside bio and chemistry, and she managed to get an A*. I think it can deffo be done but she was very very focused... she had to drop all extra curriculars and get a tutor which helped. You'll be fine, its all about priorities

Im also doing only three a levels, whereas most do 4 as further as the fourth. So I’m basically doing just 2 a levels in year 12. Maths and physics. But just a more intense and fast tracked
Reply 15
Thanks so did u do the entire maths a level course in year 12 and do the exam at the end of year 12? Is so, how did u cope and what grade did u get?

yeah I regretfully put myself through both years and NOW THIS PANDEMIC meant that I couldn't even take the Further exam lol. I'll probably have to sit the autumn ones.

and yes, I did the whole maths Alevel in Y12, and I got an A (very few marks off an A*), was honestly gutted since I put in my all, but forgave myself since this I only took further due to pressure from parents. I actually dont like maths that much lmao.

how did I cope? my class was very tight, we supported each other until the end. and I had many random breakdowns due to stress because I didnt ask for help until later.
i wasnt given any tips since we were the first few to do this speedy maths Alevel, but here are my tips for you:

1. print the syllabus and make sure at the end of every section of a topic, you review and do some practice questions on it

2. always ask for help/ attend help sessions if you dont understand the content which is very normal dw!!

3. you will have to pay more attention to maths than other subjects and so you must get the other subjects work out of the way quickly so you have time to focus on maths

4. dont worry about the speed of the lessons, you will get used to it and it'll be fine in the end! remember if you want the teacher to repeat something, dont hesitate to ask

5. dont feel weird about other people understanding things quicker than you. it's about you getting that A*, not other people!!

6. figure out a way to manage your time please! it's the only way to get through smoothly.

7. I know this sounds mean, but your friends don't matter more than this Alevel. if they ask you to go out or to skip a help session then remind them that you have a freaking A-LEVEL at the end of year and then go on your merry way. if they're true friends, they'll understand.

8. and please dont burn yourself out! take breaks and relax, if you create a good routine and give yourself plenty of rest time YOU WILL BE FINE!!

- good luck x
Reply 16
Original post by mxxnal
yeah I regretfully put myself through both years and NOW THIS PANDEMIC meant that I couldn't even take the Further exam lol. I'll probably have to sit the autumn ones.

and yes, I did the whole maths Alevel in Y12, and I got an A (very few marks off an A*), was honestly gutted since I put in my all, but forgave myself since this I only took further due to pressure from parents. I actually dont like maths that much lmao.

how did I cope? my class was very tight, we supported each other until the end. and I had many random breakdowns due to stress because I didnt ask for help until later.
i wasnt given any tips since we were the first few to do this speedy maths Alevel, but here are my tips for you:

1. print the syllabus and make sure at the end of every section of a topic, you review and do some practice questions on it

2. always ask for help/ attend help sessions if you dont understand the content which is very normal dw!!

3. you will have to pay more attention to maths than other subjects and so you must get the other subjects work out of the way quickly so you have time to focus on maths

4. dont worry about the speed of the lessons, you will get used to it and it'll be fine in the end! remember if you want the teacher to repeat something, dont hesitate to ask

5. dont feel weird about other people understanding things quicker than you. it's about you getting that A*, not other people!!

6. figure out a way to manage your time please! it's the only way to get through smoothly.

7. I know this sounds mean, but your friends don't matter more than this Alevel. if they ask you to go out or to skip a help session then remind them that you have a freaking A-LEVEL at the end of year and then go on your merry way. if they're true friends, they'll understand.

8. and please dont burn yourself out! take breaks and relax, if you create a good routine and give yourself plenty of rest time YOU WILL BE FINE!!

- good luck x

Okay this is daunting 😂😂 haha thanks for advice, how many subjects did u do and what were there. Btw I’m doing maths physics and further, so I’m basically just doing two a levels in year 12 as we do further in year 13
Reply 17
Okay this is daunting 😂😂 haha thanks for advice, how many subjects did u do and what were there. Btw I’m doing maths physics and further, so I’m basically just doing two a levels in year 12 as we do further in year 13

Oh I see!!!!! then this'll be much easier for you since you only do two in year 12.
nah my school was adamant that further was to be taken as a fourth subject. so I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science

you'll be fine mate, and if doing a whole Alevel in one year wasn't daunting then I'd be surprised.
Reply 18
Original post by mxxnal
Oh I see!!!!! then this'll be much easier for you since you only do two in year 12.
nah my school was adamant that further was to be taken as a fourth subject. so I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science

you'll be fine mate, and if doing a whole Alevel in one year wasn't daunting then I'd be surprised.

Thanks, you think doing an a level early would affect my application to imperial? As they require a star in maths and two a in other two subjects
Reply 19
Thanks, you think doing an a level early would affect my application to imperial? As they require a star in maths and two a in other two subjects

no no, there's no disadvantage at all!! in fact two of my friends in my class both got offers at imperial :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest