Takeover Season
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there,

I know that if a sequence is eventually constant, then it is convergent in any metric space X equipped with the discrete metric. I was wondering if this result holds in general with ANY metric, rather than just the discrete metric?

Thank you.
Cryptokyo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Takeover Season)
Hi there,

I know that if a sequence is eventually constant, then it is convergent in any metric space X equipped with the discrete metric. I was wondering if this result holds in general with ANY metric, rather than just the discrete metric?

Thank you.
Yes any sequence that is eventually constant in a metric space is convergent to that constant. As for any such sequence  x_{n} we have that we can find an N\in\mathbb{N} such that x_{n} = c \in X for all  n \geq N. So for all  n \geq N,  d(x_{n},c)=0 and thus is convergent to c.

However, a convergent sequence in a discrete metric space must eventually be constant. Whereas, this is not true for any metric space.
Last edited by Cryptokyo; 1 month ago
Takeover Season
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Cryptokyo)
Yes any sequence that is eventually constant in a metric space is convergent to that constant. As for any such sequence  x_{n} we have that we can find an N\in\mathbb{N} such that x_{n} = c \in X for all  n \geq N. So for all  n \geq N,  d(x_{n},c)=0 and thus is convergent to c.

However, a convergent sequence in a discrete metric space must eventually be constant. Whereas, this is not true for any metric space.
Thank you so much, that was actually very beautifully explained.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (11)
30.56%
Less motivated (25)
69.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed