I work in Insurance, will I benefit from a degree and what route should I take?

Watch
danwalker117
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm 26 and currently work in the insurance industry. (General property claims to be specific.)

I have my Cert CII and i'm studying for my Dip CII at the moment and hopefully plan to obtain my ACII.

However, I did 2 years at university for an unrelated 2 year course which I totally regret. I only have 2 years of finance left.

Do you think it's better just to continue to obtain the industry qualifications or will a degree assist me?

I would love to become an Actuary or something really technical within insurance but unfortunately didn't even do Maths at A level so a Maths degree would be quite a step for me.

I'm also open to other routes of learning.

Any advice is appreciated.
KaptainCliff
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The ACII / FCII qualification is well regarded and opens you up to a good career in insurance. If you're considering doing a degree to become an actuary, there are two requirements for admittance as a student to the IFoA: at least a grade B mathematics A level and a 2:1 degree in a numerate discipline. Before you did a maths degree, you would need to do a maths A level. Overall you're looking at 5 years full time education, of which you would only be funded for the last two years of your degree.

You would need 5 years out of work and funding for your A level and first year of uni.

Obviously depending on your finances and commitment to changing career track, I personally would be minded to continue towards gaining you CII qualification.
KaptainCliff
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As another suggestion, have you considered the chartered actuarial analyst route? I believe you don't need a degree and it is a more technical role than the CII route.
danwalker117
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Oh I haven't heard of that route?Would I still need to do A-Level maths?
KaptainCliff
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by danwalker117)
Oh I haven't heard of that route?Would I still need to do A-Level maths?
I'm unsure, I'm about to start training to be an actuary on the FIA route. You're best checking the IFoA website for the CAA qualification. From what I've heard you might not have to but, as I say, check the website.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (11)
17.46%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (15)
23.81%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (5)
7.94%
No, I haven't received any communication (32)
50.79%

Watched Threads