kibbi.x
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey I have just chosen my HLs/SLs for Year 12. Any tips on those (esp chemistry and eng)?

HL: Chinese B, Maths AA, Chemistry
SL: English Lit A, Physics, History

thank u
VanillaCream
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi,
for chemistry if you don't have a good teacher, richard thornley on youtube and pearson essentials book will definitely help. but if you do have a good teacher/can learn it on your own, it isn't that hard. I think some of the topics are quite connected with physics, but since you're taking physics SL, it shouldn't be a problem, I think. besides that, if you don't understand a topic/you're not sure if you understand, I'd advise doing some questions from the book first, because they're slightly different from the past papers in a way that they let you understand the concept, imo past papers are like you either know what to write or you don't (at least for chemistry).
you weren't really asking specifically, but for maths, have a look at the prior knowledge thing at either a textbook or syllabus and make sure you understand it before the course starts (or at the beginning) and use various books for exercises because they differ in difficulty (I think oxford are the easiest, so I wouldn't really recommend them, cambridge and IBID and hease&harris maybe are the harder ones) - always start with those when e.g. preparing for a test as they are generally harder than past papers (like ofc there are hard questions in past papers as well, but you're better prepared by the textbook exercises)
I'm not taking english lit because I'm taking my native language as language A, but the courses work the same way, we have a really bad teacher for this class, so I'm not sure how much of this is relevant to someone with a good teacher :confused: but I'd say make detailed notes when you're discussing a book in class and practise a LOT of writing, both paper 1 and 2 when you know the basics. in our class, our group wrote like 4-5 papers in total throughout whole Y1 while the other group wrote like both papers each month I think, so even if your teacher doesn't care make sure you practise on your own

if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
kibbi.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by VanillaCream)
hi,
for chemistry if you don't have a good teacher, richard thornley on youtube and pearson essentials book will definitely help. but if you do have a good teacher/can learn it on your own, it isn't that hard. I think some of the topics are quite connected with physics, but since you're taking physics SL, it shouldn't be a problem, I think. besides that, if you don't understand a topic/you're not sure if you understand, I'd advise doing some questions from the book first, because they're slightly different from the past papers in a way that they let you understand the concept, imo past papers are like you either know what to write or you don't (at least for chemistry).
you weren't really asking specifically, but for maths, have a look at the prior knowledge thing at either a textbook or syllabus and make sure you understand it before the course starts (or at the beginning) and use various books for exercises because they differ in difficulty (I think oxford are the easiest, so I wouldn't really recommend them, cambridge and IBID and hease&harris maybe are the harder ones) - always start with those when e.g. preparing for a test as they are generally harder than past papers (like ofc there are hard questions in past papers as well, but you're better prepared by the textbook exercises)
I'm not taking english lit because I'm taking my native language as language A, but the courses work the same way, we have a really bad teacher for this class, so I'm not sure how much of this is relevant to someone with a good teacher :confused: but I'd say make detailed notes when you're discussing a book in class and practise a LOT of writing, both paper 1 and 2 when you know the basics. in our class, our group wrote like 4-5 papers in total throughout whole Y1 while the other group wrote like both papers each month I think, so even if your teacher doesn't care make sure you practise on your own

if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
Thank you, this is actually so useful! Would you recommend the person essentials book if I want to go over the chemistry content beforehand during my summer holiday? Also, would you recommend writing with the prompts on past papers for language A or find other ones?
VanillaCream
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kibbi.x)
Thank you, this is actually so useful! Would you recommend the person essentials book if I want to go over the chemistry content beforehand during my summer holiday? Also, would you recommend writing with the prompts on past papers for language A or find other ones?
I think there is something specifically with the knowledge for chemistry that you should know before, I don't remember the name, tho. so if you want to study beforehand, maybe start with that (you can have a look if it's on the ib documents). if you were to use person essentials solely for studying, then you should probably use it alongside a bigger textbook because person essentials is more a 'study guide' which has great explanations but lacks in some content, so it's more if you don't understand something in class, you can look for it there. but still, if you don't find that book I mentioned (or you know everything from there and want to start the 'real' content), you can go with person essentials, maybe with the person course companion (which is like the bigger textbook and is really good as well imo!)
I think you can use both the past papers and other ones, e.g. you can have a look at the past papers and what they look like, what questions are there (and also e.g. the essays that your teacher will want you to write for class) and try to look for similar questions, not necessarily from the past papers because they're obviously limited and it might be good to leave at least some for revision before the exams.
IBkidinthecorner
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello! I take chemistry HL too. I've just finished IBY1. As VanillaCream said above, Richard Thornley and the Pearson textbook are both really useful. Personally I find going through the Oxford study guide in conjunction with doing practice questions really helpful and this makes up the bulk of my revision. I don't find chem particularly difficult as a subject, but ongoing revision is very helpful, especially in the first year when you're not bogged down by the stresses of EE etc.
kibbi.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by VanillaCream)
I think there is something specifically with the knowledge for chemistry that you should know before, I don't remember the name, tho. so if you want to study beforehand, maybe start with that (you can have a look if it's on the ib documents). if you were to use person essentials solely for studying, then you should probably use it alongside a bigger textbook because person essentials is more a 'study guide' which has great explanations but lacks in some content, so it's more if you don't understand something in class, you can look for it there. but still, if you don't find that book I mentioned (or you know everything from there and want to start the 'real' content), you can go with person essentials, maybe with the person course companion (which is like the bigger textbook and is really good as well imo!)
I think you can use both the past papers and other ones, e.g. you can have a look at the past papers and what they look like, what questions are there (and also e.g. the essays that your teacher will want you to write for class) and try to look for similar questions, not necessarily from the past papers because they're obviously limited and it might be good to leave at least some for revision before the exams.
I see thank you so much!
kibbi.x
Rep:
?
O

(Original post by IBkidinthecorner)
Hello! I take chemistry HL too. I've just finished IBY1. As VanillaCream said above, Richard Thornley and the Pearson textbook are both really useful. Personally I find going through the Oxford study guide in conjunction with doing practice questions really helpful and this makes up the bulk of my revision. I don't find chem particularly difficult as a subject, but ongoing revision is very helpful, especially in the first year when you're not bogged down by the stresses of EE etc.
Thank you! I am actually struggling most with the explanation questions in terms of using the correct terminology as outlined in the marking scheme. Is there any specific method you will recommend for this?
IBkidinthecorner
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kibbi.x)
O

Thank you! I am actually struggling most with the explanation questions in terms of using the correct terminology as outlined in the marking scheme. Is there any specific method you will recommend for this?
Personally, I find the Oxford IB study guide really helpful for that kind of thing. Also, make a note of each piece of terminology present in the mark scheme and assemble terminology lists for each topic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (53)
21.54%
No (193)
78.46%

Watched Threads