Does anyone else hate when teachers don't open emails during summer?

Watch
username4752092
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I HATE WHEN TEACHERS DON'T OPEN EMAILS DURING SUMMER!!!!!

I understand if they want a few weeks break, but the whole summer is ridiculous. They get the most holidays compared to any other adult working any other job. Not responding is so stuck up and annoys me so much!!! ESPECIALLY IF IT'S TO DO WITH EPQ OR ARRANGING HOUSE EVENTS FOR THE COMING YEAR OMG
username4752092
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
and WE'RE STILL EXPECTED TO DO WORK
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They deserve a break from the huge workload they’re buggered down with during the year - it goes beyond just the teaching and marking that you see in class: there’s SLC meetings, administrative work, and a whole bunch of other behind the scenes work that we as students don’t see.

You also forget that they have their own lives to contend with - children, family, life problems like any other person etc etc.

If you’re stuck on something, try to seek help elsewhere from friends, the internet or even here. Waiting until term starts to ask your teachers isn’t a huge ask.
Anonymous17!
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You’re teachers are human. Sure, they get more holidays compared to other working adults, but other working adults don’t have to deal with 100’s of students when they are working. I understand the frustration as I have emailed one of my teachers about something important and I got an automated reply saying he isn’t checking his emails until the 10th. You should be able to talk to your teachers on results day, even if you aren’t getting any results (I’m assuming you’re going into year 13 so are a current year 12) but still, your teachers should be available then.

I know year 12’s and year 10’s are important, but in all fairness, you and your teachers have got quite a while until next summer to sort out exams, future plans etc. The current year 13’s and year 11’s have literally got about 3 weeks to sort out uni, sixth form, offers, potential autumn exams, appeals etc. Just patient, it’s all you can do. Your teachers will give you the attention you need in September, when you start school again. Right now, they’re just trying to take a break before the stress that results day will bring.
Last edited by Anonymous17!; 1 month ago
Hellohsjakodsmka
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
They deserve a break from the huge workload they’re buggered down with during the year - it goes beyond just the teaching and marking that you see in class: there’s SLC meetings, administrative work, and a whole bunch of other behind the scenes work that we as students don’t see.

You also forget that they have their own lives to contend with - children, family, life problems like any other person etc etc.

If you’re stuck on something, try to seek help elsewhere from friends, the internet or even here. Waiting until term starts to ask your teachers isn’t a huge ask.
Prsom :yes:
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by englishman12345)
I HATE WHEN TEACHERS DON'T OPEN EMAILS DURING SUMMER!!!!!

I understand if they want a few weeks break, but the whole summer is ridiculous. They get the most holidays compared to any other adult working any other job. Not responding is so stuck up and annoys me so much!!! ESPECIALLY IF IT'S TO DO WITH EPQ OR ARRANGING HOUSE EVENTS FOR THE COMING YEAR OMG
Grow up
MrMusician95
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
OP is definitely a kid. Everyone hates it when on holiday and gets emails from work. Teachers are exactly the same.
username5364864
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Teachers stop responding to this post lol
Anonymous17!
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kanji145)
Teachers stop responding to this post lol
Not a teacher, year 13 here
username5364864
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous17!)
Not a teacher, year 13 here
okay.
username5364876
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I completely agree, teachers claim they're there for you and will support you but as soon as the school hours finish they leave you completely on your own. It's such a long holiday you're not telling me it's so hard to just check your emails once a week and reply to one or two students who need some help? Especially in times like this!!!!
username5279298
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's always places like the Internet and classmates, as people have already mentioned.

Teachers may get longer holidays, but they also work longer hours and generally have a stressful job. Also you must think that right now, most teachers' priorities will be in spending time with their family and preparing for September, something that they haven't been able to do when marking hundreds of pieces of work over lockdown.
MrMusician95
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hsghss123)
I completely agree, teachers claim they're there for you and will support you but as soon as the school hours finish they leave you completely on your own. It's such a long holiday you're not telling me it's so hard to just check your emails once a week and reply to one or two students who need some help? Especially in times like this!!!!
I want to see how you'd feel if when you get home from work you can't relax and you're constantly replying to emails or calls. Or when you're actually on holiday you're still working. They deserve a break.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username4752092)
and WE'RE STILL EXPECTED TO DO WORK
As are many teachers.
(Original post by username4752092)
I understand if they want a few weeks break
The rest of the OP suggests otherwise.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I imagine the OP is one of those people who think teachers work from 9 until half 3 and that's it. No staff meetings, parents evening, inset days, marking, moderating, lesson planning, break or lunch duty, just rocking up half 8 and popping off back home, sometimes even to the pub, the minute the bell rings.

When you grow up and find yourself with a job, you will most certainly understand the frustration of being expected to answer emails out of your working hours. When you already work hard, in a stressful role, the last thing you should be doing is still working, particularly when you're not getting paid for it. It's not good for your health or productivity if you don't allow yourself to switch off.

Wait until you get to uni and find out your supervisor is taking two weeks of annual leave and doesn't return to work until the day of your dissertation deadline. Now that's annoying.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 1 month ago
Libbyc16
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
teachers are on summer break, they don’t have to reply to any emails during the holidays. some do which is nice of them. but they have their own lives outside of work and deserve a break
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (54)
25.47%
Less motivated (158)
74.53%

Watched Threads