The Student Room Group

Asking a doctor I interned with to be my referee?/ Med-school application

I graduated high school two years ago, and honestly though teachers loved me my grades suffered due to extenuating circumstances. So not only was it a little while ago, but they don't know about the circumstances and will just assume i was lazy (I don't want to tell them) and I feel like it'd be a fake/weak reference.

The doctor i interned with about a year ago can give actual points on why i would succeed within the field, and me as a person. But I don't know if it's allowed to have him write it? We're not family or anything and only met during interning hours.

Is it possible? Anyone have a better idea? I'm just lost :/
Original post by christscookies
I graduated high school two years ago, and honestly though teachers loved me my grades suffered due to extenuating circumstances. So not only was it a little while ago, but they don't know about the circumstances and will just assume i was lazy (I don't want to tell them) and I feel like it'd be a fake/weak reference.

The doctor i interned with about a year ago can give actual points on why i would succeed within the field, and me as a person. But I don't know if it's allowed to have him write it? We're not family or anything and only met during interning hours.

Is it possible? Anyone have a better idea? I'm just lost :/

1. Yes you can use people who are independent third parties and know you. Obviously you need to get their consent.
2. How are they going to give your predicted grades?
3.What were the extenuating circumstances for your grades? The new ones will be resits?

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/how-get-ucas-undergraduate-reference
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/student-life/mature-students/references-mature-students
Look at apply as an individual.
Original post by 999tigger
1. Yes you can use people who are independent third parties and know you. Obviously you need to get their consent.
2. How are they going to give your predicted grades?
3.What were the extenuating circumstances for your grades? The new ones will be resits?

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/how-get-ucas-undergraduate-reference
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/student-life/mature-students/references-mature-students
Look at apply as an individual.

thank you for taking time to answer!

1. Yes, of course.

2. I always assumed that predicted grades were for the final grades in the UK, is there a predicted grades for achievements in uni?

3. It's private, I never told anyone about it except for my psychologist who's been accepted as eligible to write out the ECF. Which new grades are you referring to?
thank you for taking time to answer!

1. Yes, of course.

2. I always assumed that predicted grades were for the final grades in the UK, is there a predicted grades for achievements in uni?

3. It's private, I never told anyone about it except for my psychologist who's been accepted as eligible to write out the ECF. Which new grades are you referring to?

2. I mean they have to have some basis for predicting those grades otherwise they are meaningless.
3. I believe your referee should make a brief comment on your EC. Do note that the more serious the issue then that may touch on fitness to practice aspects.
(edited 3 years ago)
2. I mean they have to have some basis for predicting those grades otherwise they are meaningless.
3. I believe your referee should make a brief comment on your EC. Do note that the more serious the issue then that may touch on fitness to practice aspects.

@ecolier

2. I'm sorry I'm not following; so there are uni predictions made? If that's the case I'll have to reach out to a teacher, all I've seen is predictions for exam results for seniors in the UK that apply before their results.

3. Yes, I'll tell him about the EC. That's very true, I'll adress it in the PS.
2. I'm sorry I'm not following; so there are uni predictions made? If that's the case I'll have to reach out to a teacher, all I've seen is predictions for exam results for seniors in the UK that apply before their results.

3. Yes, I'll tell him about the EC. That's very true, I'll adress it in the PS.

2. Do you already have your A level grades? If so then no need for predicteds. Presumably they are AAA or higher?
3. Its not for you to address in the PS, but him in the reference.
2. Do you already have your A level grades? If so then no need for predicteds. Presumably they are AAA or higher?
3. Its not for you to address in the PS, but him in the reference.

2. Yes, as stated I graduated 2 years ago, and due to my EC, they are below AAA.
3. In the PS surely I can adress my EC, at least in a couple of sentences to ensure that I grew despite it (or something along those lines)?
(edited 3 years ago)
2. Yes, as stated I graduated 2 years ago, and due to my EC, they are below AAA.
3. In the PS surely I can adress my EC, at least in a couple of sentences to ensure that I grew despite it (or something along those lines)?

2. What are they and why didnt you/ dont you resit them? How far below are you? In that event talk to admissions before you apply. I assume you are talking about 2021 now, so you have time.
I wouldn't apply with grades below those required.

3. Normally it is in the reference and for your referee to comment on.

I suggest you repost in the medicine forum and take their views onboard if it is.
(edited 3 years ago)

If your grades are below AAA, it's pretty much expected that you will retake- hence the need for predicted grades. Having extenuating circumstance may mean your retakes are not considered a negative, but you are not likely to be offered an interview if you're applying with grades below the standard offer and no plans to retake.

Extenuating circumstances are best addressed by your referee- it gives them more weight and also saves space in your personal statement. It's not about saying you grew despite them, it's about explaining how they affected you at the time, and why you should be given special consideration because of them. In general, this is best done by someone with experience of writing UCAS references.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending