The Student Room Group

Students from poor backgrounds receive lower grades

Hi so I was reading about how with the Scottish A levels results day students from disadvantaged backgrounds received lower grades compared to richer students. Are the grades based on where you live and the level of deprivation or your school
Original post by Lennylen628
Hi so I was reading about how with the Scottish A levels results day students from disadvantaged backgrounds received lower grades compared to richer students. Are the grades based on where you live and the level of deprivation or your school

Usually Schools in deprived areas Receive worse grades and the results were based on previous results that the School received.
Original post by Anonymous1502
Usually Schools in deprived areas Receive worse grades and the results were based on previous results that the School received.

I was wondering say if I am not too happy with my grades instead of doing the October exam do you know if I will be able to do the summer exams that way I have more time if it does come to that
Original post by Lennylen628
I was wondering say if I am not too happy with my grades instead of doing the October exam do you know if I will be able to do the summer exams that way I have more time if it does come to that

You can do them in October or in summer, but be careful with this decision. Ofqual have said that any exam taken (either in October or summer) will be counted as a first sitting, however, it’s up to the universities to decide whether they will count them as resits or not. A few people I know have emailed unis and the majority of unis have responded by saying that October exams will be classed as first sittings, whereas summer ones will be viewed as resists due the fact that you have 1 extra year to revise compared to a few extra months. So if you’re applying to a uni or a course that looks at resits negatively or requires your resit grades to be above the standard entry requirements, I would think about your choice carefully.

Quick Reply

Latest