The Student Room Group

MSc Marine Sciences Drop Out and wanting to work in CompSci with AI

Hello, I've studied abroad for nearly a year. I lost interest in Marine Sciences around March due to web development and I ended up really liking tech. I decided to drop out in July.
I contacted Delft about requirements etc for the masters in AI. I've come to a conclusion I don't fulfil the requirements.

Somethings that might help. I've been doing backend web development-Python with Django framework for over a year. I have a C in higher tier ICT GCSE and fountain tier maths, C in AS ICT which I had to retake although thats another story. I have an Irish Passport and I am learning Dutch through my effective learning method. Finally I use Linux OS.

Also now during the COVID. There going to be huge competition. Any solutions to help me get into CompSci?
Reply 1
Original post by Other_Owl
Hello, I've studied abroad for nearly a year. I lost interest in Marine Sciences around March due to web development and I ended up really liking tech. I decided to drop out in July.
I contacted Delft about requirements etc for the masters in AI. I've come to a conclusion I don't fulfil the requirements.

Somethings that might help. I've been doing backend web development-Python with Django framework for over a year. I have a C in higher tier ICT GCSE and fountain tier maths, C in AS ICT which I had to retake although thats another story. I have an Irish Passport and I am learning Dutch through my effective learning method. Finally I use Linux OS.

Also now during the COVID. There going to be huge competition. Any solutions to help me get into CompSci?

If you want to get in somewhere good you'll either need some level of formal experience or education to demonstrate your knowledge. BTEC might be a good route, or a foundation year at your preferred uni (if they offer it).
Reply 2
Original post by Luluht
If you want to get in somewhere good you'll either need some level of formal experience or education to demonstrate your knowledge. BTEC might be a good route, or a foundation year at your preferred uni (if they offer it).

Original post by Luluht

I did a BTEC in Science for A Levels and a foundation year in zoology.

You might get an apprenticeship. Nothing but a miracle is going to get you on a Masters, or even another undergrad if all you can offer is a retaked AS at grade C.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
You might get an apprenticeship. Nothing but a miracle is going to get you on a Masters, or even another undergrad if all you can offer is a retaked AS at grade C.

I know I don't qualify for the MSc.
Reply 5
Why not look to improve your grades and take an undergrad degree?
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift

Apprenticeship seems to be the only soloution rn and learning Dutch the only way to open up opportunuties in the Netherlands. I was researching how polygots learn languages.
Reply 7
I did a BTEC in Science for A Levels and a foundation year in zoology.

You'd specifically need something relating to computing though. The science BTEC might work. It's clearing right now and a lot of lower 50% unis will give places on a first-come basis regardless of qualifications, if you're willing to put the work in that could be a quick option.
Reply 8
Original post by Luluht
You'd specifically need something relating to computing though. The science BTEC might work. It's clearing right now and a lot of lower 50% unis will give places on a first-come basis regardless of qualifications, if you're willing to put the work in that could be a quick option.

I rather study at Delft but you need at C in A Level Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending