When should you start to prepare for STEP?

Watch
Magnetic-Jump
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm going to start my A-levels this year. I'm taking maths and further maths.

I was wondering when the best time to prepare for STEP would be? Should I start immediately or should I start at the end of the first year?

I'm looking to take all STEP exams.
Despaxir
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Start after you finish AS pure maths. Use the Cambridge correspondence thing to get off to a good start and also have a look at Stephen Siklos book on STEP, it's free to download. Since you wanna do STEP, I'm assuming you're good at maths. So get yourself a C1 and C2 book (old spec yes but the content is same) and do the questions from there. You should be able to finish them easily, you might have some difficulty with calculus, and the exponential function. A lot of the C1 and C2 will basically feel like GCSE but just a bit harder or longer depending on your view. That's how I found it.

The reason why I'm saying go to old spec and not new spec is coz at school you will do your current spec snd questions from that spec's book. You don't wanna redo questions innit.

If you don't wanna do any work this summer that's fine. But when school starts make sure you work hard and get the knowledge of A-level Pure maths done quickly. But you have to understand them well enough.

Once you're done with AS Pure, you're ready to start practicising for STEP. You can start now but it'd be too hard.

Also graph skills are important, try to understand what the graphs are like and their properties as you learn A-level and Further Maths. It helps a lot.

That's my opinion.
CurryCurry2468
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Magnetic-Jump)
I'm going to start my A-levels this year. I'm taking maths and further maths.

I was wondering when the best time to prepare for STEP would be? Should I start immediately or should I start at the end of the first year?

I'm looking to take all STEP exams.
Wait can you take all the STEP exams? If u want to do an exam with a level maths and FM being tested together then go for STEP 3
Despaxir
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CurryCurry2468)
Wait can you take all the STEP exams? If u want to do an exam with a level maths and FM being tested together then go for STEP 3
No STEP is an entrance test for Maths. Since OP wants to do all 3 exams, I'm assuming they want to do Maths at Cambridge or at other unis, so if they get the offer they'll need to do STEP 3 and 2 for Cambridge. Other unis he'll be applying for for maths will most likely give them an offer where the offer is reduced if they do a STEP paper and get a good/decent grade. So yeah if OP gets the offers they want then OP will do all 3 STEP papers.

My school told me that you can't just sign up to do the STEP papers if your offer doesn't include it. So no OP can't just do STEP 3, unless the offer states they must do STEP 3 and says nothing about STEP 2 and 1. But imo if yoi have a STEP offer do all 3 papers and if you mess up, say you need A*A*A but you got A*A*C, then say your offer needed STEP 1 and you did STEP 2 and 3 as well got a high grades. The university may look at this favourably and let the OP in anyway if they missed the A-level grade. Idk about this not too sure, but it kinda makes sense right? A*A* in Maths and Fmaths obviously.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (27)
19.71%
No (110)
80.29%

Watched Threads