The Student Room Group

When do the 30 years of repayment start?

Hey, I'm a little confused about this matter. I am on a plan 2 loan. I understand it gets written off after 30 years. My issue is when do the 30 years start? I am finding the wording on all the official sites ambiguous.

Do the 30 years start:
- The first april after graduation (so if I earn under the repayment threshold for the first 5 years and then over for the next 25 over the threshold, I will pay for just 25 years and the loan is wiped off)

or

- 30 years after earning above the threshold (so i dont pay for the first supposed 5 years I am not earning above the threshold but then the following 30 years I do - all in all 35 years before it gets written off)

Mayble I'm overthinking this but if someone could clarify for me I would be very grateful. Thank you.
You don’t start paying it back until you earn a certain amount of money. So the 30 years starts on the April you start earning over the threshold.
Reply 2
Original post by lukeahar
Hey, I'm a little confused about this matter. I am on a plan 2 loan. I understand it gets written off after 30 years. My issue is when do the 30 years start? I am finding the wording on all the official sites ambiguous.

Do the 30 years start:
- The first april after graduation (so if I earn under the repayment threshold for the first 5 years and then over for the next 25 over the threshold, I will pay for just 25 years and the loan is wiped off)

or

- 30 years after earning above the threshold (so i dont pay for the first supposed 5 years I am not earning above the threshold but then the following 30 years I do - all in all 35 years before it gets written off)

Mayble I'm overthinking this but if someone could clarify for me I would be very grateful. Thank you.

The 30 years starts in the April following graduation (or leaving), regardless of salary. It is not based on you paying over the threshold.

https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2017/05/will-student-loan-written-off/

Many graduates earn under the threshold for the first few years, and many people will have periods in their life when salary reduces below the threshold (redundancy, part time working etc} so they won't make repayments then either. In reality, it is more like an additional tax than a traditional loan
Reply 3
Original post by marple
The 30 years starts in the April following graduation (or leaving), regardless of salary. It is not based on you paying over the threshold.

https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2017/05/will-student-loan-written-off/

Many graduates earn under the threshold for the first few years, and many people will have periods in their life when salary reduces below the threshold (redundancy, part time working etc} so they won't make repayments then either. In reality, it is more like an additional tax than a traditional loan

Thank you Marple, I hadn't come across this link.

This was the outcome I was hoping for haha!

Quick Reply

Latest