When do the 30 years of repayment start?

Watch
lukeahar
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey, I'm a little confused about this matter. I am on a plan 2 loan. I understand it gets written off after 30 years. My issue is when do the 30 years start? I am finding the wording on all the official sites ambiguous.

Do the 30 years start:
- The first april after graduation (so if I earn under the repayment threshold for the first 5 years and then over for the next 25 over the threshold, I will pay for just 25 years and the loan is wiped off)

or

- 30 years after earning above the threshold (so i dont pay for the first supposed 5 years I am not earning above the threshold but then the following 30 years I do - all in all 35 years before it gets written off)

Mayble I'm overthinking this but if someone could clarify for me I would be very grateful. Thank you.
Anonymous17!
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You don’t start paying it back until you earn a certain amount of money. So the 30 years starts on the April you start earning over the threshold.
marple
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lukeahar)
Hey, I'm a little confused about this matter. I am on a plan 2 loan. I understand it gets written off after 30 years. My issue is when do the 30 years start? I am finding the wording on all the official sites ambiguous.

Do the 30 years start:
- The first april after graduation (so if I earn under the repayment threshold for the first 5 years and then over for the next 25 over the threshold, I will pay for just 25 years and the loan is wiped off)

or

- 30 years after earning above the threshold (so i dont pay for the first supposed 5 years I am not earning above the threshold but then the following 30 years I do - all in all 35 years before it gets written off)

Mayble I'm overthinking this but if someone could clarify for me I would be very grateful. Thank you.
The 30 years starts in the April following graduation (or leaving), regardless of salary. It is not based on you paying over the threshold.

https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2...n-written-off/

Many graduates earn under the threshold for the first few years, and many people will have periods in their life when salary reduces below the threshold (redundancy, part time working etc} so they won't make repayments then either. In reality, it is more like an additional tax than a traditional loan
lukeahar
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by marple)
The 30 years starts in the April following graduation (or leaving), regardless of salary. It is not based on you paying over the threshold.

https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2...n-written-off/

Many graduates earn under the threshold for the first few years, and many people will have periods in their life when salary reduces below the threshold (redundancy, part time working etc} so they won't make repayments then either. In reality, it is more like an additional tax than a traditional loan
Thank you Marple, I hadn't come across this link.

This was the outcome I was hoping for haha!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (51)
13.46%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (51)
13.46%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (142)
37.47%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (41)
10.82%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (73)
19.26%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
5.54%

Watched Threads