Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Failure In Life)
https://apod.nasa.gov/debate/2020/Tarter100th.html

scroll down
^^^^
A moment of silence for this
So often I used to be plagued by anxiety about my place in the universe. Recently I've come to realise how truly insignificant we are in space and time. This (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD) is how far our radio signals have made it in the Milky Way. There is very little chance us proto-humans will ever observe or be observed by intelligent life, simply because of how alone we are in our region of the universe. Drake's equation necessitates the Fermi Paradox in a backwoods, middle-of-nowhere region of space like our own. We are the Point Nemo of galaxies.

This calls to mind the greatest speech ever created, by Carl Sagan, upon seeing the Pale Blue Dot photo:
"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam."
username5332164
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by AshWasTaken)
So often I used to be plagued by anxiety about my place in the universe. Recently I've come to realise how truly insignificant we are in space and time. This (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD) is how far our radio signals have made it in the Milky Way. There is very little chance us proto-humans will ever observe or be observed by intelligent life, simply because of how alone we are in our region of the universe. Drake's equation necessitates the Fermi Paradox in a backwoods, middle-of-nowhere region of space like our own. We are the Point Nemo of galaxies.

This calls to mind the greatest speech ever created, by Carl Sagan, upon seeing the Pale Blue Dot photo:
"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam."
i feel the same way but i dont get why people dont talk about this .also like ,why suffer and make ur self do things you do not like to do just to get a "good" house or car what ever , when that is soooo insignificant or why like try at all when it amounts to well nothing ...
Archetypally
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i feel the same way but i dont get why people dont talk about this .also like ,why suffer and make ur self do things you do not like to do just to get a "good" house or car what ever , when that is soooo insignificant or why like try at all when it amounts to well nothing ...
Why does your significance need to be quantified on the basis of the size of the universe? What bearing or relevance does that have.
username5332164
Rep:
?
(Original post by Archetypally)
Why does your significance need to be quantified on the basis of the size of the universe? What bearing or relevance does that have.
its not its just that every thing u put a value to is just what you. your parents or society put a value on like get a "nice car" its looked positively like success but u just bought a bunch of mettle shaped in a different way with a bigger engine . probably a bad analogy hope u get what i am saying .
Also if ur like i like to make a change in the world what will probably not happen if it does it will not last forever because the universe will die, and anything you dont have that you like is suffering and when you get that thing you all ways want more . Any way i am bored af and my brain just wants dopamine
Archetypally
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
its not its just that every thing u put a value to is just what you. your parents or society put a value on like get a "nice car" its looked positively like success but u just bought a bunch of mettle shaped in a different way with a bigger engine . probably a bad analogy hope u get what i am saying .
Also if ur like i like to make a change in the world what will probably not happen if it does it will not last forever because the universe will die, and anything you dont have that you like is suffering and when you get that thing you all ways want more . Any way i am bored af and my brain just wants dopamine
I understand, nihilism isn't a unique perspective, nor is it one with any real pragmatic application.
All I am trying to say is that while I appreciate it's interesting to think about these sorts of things, you shouldn't labour over it in such a way that negatively impacts your mindset or approach to life.
username5332164
Rep:
?
(Original post by Archetypally)
I understand, nihilism isn't a unique perspective, nor is it one with any real pragmatic application.
All I am trying to say is that while I appreciate it's interesting to think about these sorts of things, you shouldn't labour over it in such a way that negatively impacts your mindset or approach to life.
yh i can see why people drink and do drugs whey there just a quick relief and causes more problems but if ur life is .... meaningless what every you like its the meaning and you can do what every you like,i get what ur saying about it has no pragmatic application it just make you depressed and want you to kill Ur self. its probably why people dont talk about this so i am just doing to drift along in the system till i die
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (30)
26.79%
Less motivated (82)
73.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed