The Student Room Group

Does Coursera count as a super-curricular activity?

I'm applying for computer science and I although I have read a suggested book for the topic, I need to do something else that counts as a super-curricular activity to mention in my personal statement. Would doing a Java course on coursera count?
Reply 1
Original post by rich67
I'm applying for computer science and I although I have read a suggested book for the topic, I need to do something else that counts as a super-curricular activity to mention in my personal statement. Would doing a Java course on coursera count?

Yes, a Java course on Coursera would count. But so would reading a book (the book is fine as long as you can discuss it and what you gained from it).
Reply 2
Original post by Zoqua
Yes, a Java course on Coursera would count. But so would reading a book (the book is fine as long as you can discuss it and what you gained from it).

Thanks
Don't do things just because you think they will score you brownie points with admissions tutors. Pursue extra (or super) curricular activities because you have a genuine interest in those areas, and then discuss those interests sincerely in your personal statement. That will go much further to convince admissions tutors of your interest in the subject area than a jaded attempt to pad your PS.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Don't do things just because you think they will score you brownie points with admissions tutors. Pursue extra (or super) curricular activities because you have a genuine interest in those areas, and then discuss those interests sincerely in your personal statement. That will go much further to convince admissions tutors of your interest in the subject area than a jaded attempt to pad your PS.

I agree. First of all the books I read are genuinely because I was interested in the topics they were talking about. For the online course, I 'm also pretty eager to learn and improve my skills. I was just asking if it would count as a super-curricular activity, otherwise I would have done another thing I'd like.
Original post by rich67
I agree. First of all the books I read are genuinely because I was interested in the topics they were talking about. For the online course, I 'm also pretty eager to learn and improve my skills. I was just asking if it would count as a super-curricular activity, otherwise I would have done another thing I'd like.

If you want to do the other thing, then do that. Universities, including Oxbridge/Imperial/similar, don't require a "quota" of supercurricular activities for the application to be considered. They just consider them in terms of demonstrating interest and aptitude for the subject area. I would note that for CS at Oxbridge (also Imperial, Edinburgh, and probably Warwick and UCL) supercurricular activities in maths would probably do more to demonstrate aptitude for their courses than programming work, since the courses at both universities are extremely mathematical and theoretically inclined.
Reply 6
If you want to do the other thing, then do that. Universities, including Oxbridge/Imperial/similar, don't require a "quota" of supercurricular activities for the application to be considered. They just consider them in terms of demonstrating interest and aptitude for the subject area. I would note that for CS at Oxbridge (also Imperial, Edinburgh, and probably Warwick and UCL) supercurricular activities in maths would probably do more to demonstrate aptitude for their courses than programming work, since the courses at both universities are extremely mathematical and theoretically inclined.

I'm thinking of applying to Warwick/ Royal Holloway or something else similar. What are some examples of super-curricular activities in maths? (I also love maths)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by rich67
I'm thinking of applying to Warwick/ Royal Holloway or something else similar. What are some examples of super-curricular activities in maths? (I also love maths)

UKMT/BMO competitions are probably the major options. Supercurricular stuff probably won't be that important for applying to Royal Holloway anyway though.
Reply 8
UKMT/BMO competitions are probably the major options. Supercurricular stuff probably won't be that important for applying to Royal Holloway anyway though.

thanks for your help
Reply 9
I would recommend having a go at some of the challenges on projecteuler.net math-based programming challenges are the best of both worlds :smile:
I've had so much success in academic interviews when mentioning it.
Reply 10
Original post by rae52
I would recommend having a go at some of the challenges on projecteuler.net math-based programming challenges are the best of both worlds :smile:
I've had so much success in academic interviews when mentioning it.

How many problems do you recommend doing?
Reply 11
Original post by rich67
How many problems do you recommend doing?

I've never actually been asked how many I've done, I usually just describe it as something I enjoy doing in my free time. I've only done the first 25 tbh (mostly because I insist on doing them in order rather than skipping the ones I can't solve immediately). It entirely depends on your programming ability/experience, some I can solve in 5/10 minutes whereas others take me hours or days to figure out.

I would attempt 2 or 3 to begin with to see how challenging you find them, then set yourself a challenge, e.g. I'm attempting to get to 50 before I go back to uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending