The Student Room Group

Is there any way to study as the EU student?

Hi there!

I'm an EU student whose dream was to study dentistry in the UK. I have just finished 12th grade and I'm going into the 13th, so the application process will start for me soon.

When I started preparing for applying in June, EU students were paying the same fees as UK students (around 9k per year, except for Scotland where it was even lower) and had acces to loans. However, due to brexit, around the beginning of July, a statement has came out: Eu students starting thei studies in the September of 2021 would no longer be eligible for home fee status and lose loan access.

These changes are drastic enough to not allow me to study for 5 years.
SO here comes my question: is there any way to help me? Do these changes involve the whole UK, or is there maybe a part of the country which keeps its cost for eu students lower? What are the chances of getting scholarschips? In summary, is there any way for me to have a chance of studying in the UK?

Especially after getting 2910 in UCAT i don't want to give up.
Reply 1
Original post by WidePeepoSad
Hi there!

I'm an EU student whose dream was to study dentistry in the UK. I have just finished 12th grade and I'm going into the 13th, so the application process will start for me soon.

When I started preparing for applying in June, EU students were paying the same fees as UK students (around 9k per year, except for Scotland where it was even lower) and had acces to loans. However, due to brexit, around the beginning of July, a statement has came out: Eu students starting thei studies in the September of 2021 would no longer be eligible for home fee status and lose loan access.

These changes are drastic enough to not allow me to study for 5 years.
SO here comes my question: is there any way to help me? Do these changes involve the whole UK, or is there maybe a part of the country which keeps its cost for eu students lower? What are the chances of getting scholarschips? In summary, is there any way for me to have a chance of studying in the UK?

Especially after getting 2910 in UCAT i don't want to give up.

Hey there.
Are you living in UK already ? If you are a EU citizen living in UK with pre settlement or settlement status you can still apply for finance. I would also have a look into Scotland because they haven’t yet confirmed if they are going to change their fees for EU students.
Original post by Mdoc123
Hey there.
Are you living in UK already ? If you are a EU citizen living in UK with pre settlement or settlement status you can still apply for finance. I would also have a look into Scotland because they haven’t yet confirmed if they are going to change their fees for EU students.

Unfortunately no, I am a EU citizen living in the EU. Do you know where i should look for news regarding Scotland then? I suppose I should just continue my application process as usual and hope for the best regarding Scotland?
Original post by WidePeepoSad
Unfortunately no, I am a EU citizen living in the EU. Do you know where i should look for news regarding Scotland then? I suppose I should just continue my application process as usual and hope for the best regarding Scotland?

You'd have to pay fees in Scotland as well from 2021:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/free-university-tuition-eu-students-scotland-be-axed-2909414
I am an EU citizen and I’ve been in the UK almost 5 years now and I’ve applied for uni this year but when applying for student finance they said I wasn’t eligible even though I have the settlement status. Apparently it was due to the fact that I wasn’t here at the start of the academic year which was 1st September and I arrived 2 weeks before.
They said 2 weeks made the difference for me to not get student finance. And this law came a few months ago (not sure). It’s getting harder for even EU student living in the UK with less than 3 years stay to get the funds.
Hi there! I figured I'd also ask out of desperation: would the fact that i have a close relative living in the UK for over 10 years (who has a citizenship) help my cause somehow? I'm ready to fight for it

Quick Reply

Latest