What subject goes well with Computing and art?

Watch
Sethh
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm beginning A-levels in September and I can't decide on a third subject. I'm currently on for BTEC computer science, A-level Art, and Maths. I don't feel confident enough to take maths as I got consistent 6's at GCSE, but I fear dropping it would worsen my chance of getting into a good university. I plan to do either photography, or design, graphics as a career though so I don't think it'll make much of an impact, still, I'm stuck on what to do as a 3rd option.
Last edited by Sethh; 1 month ago
X.243llie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
maths probably would be a good one as i read online that universities like to see at least one core kind of subject like maths science english history geography that kind of subject.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sethh)
I'm beginning A-levels in September and I can't decide on a third subject. I'm currently on for BTEC computer science, A-level Art, and Maths. I don't feel confident enough to take maths as I got consistent 6's at GCSE, but I fear dropping it would worsen my chance of getting into a good university. I plan to do either photography, or design, graphics as a career though so I don't think it'll make much of an impact, still, I'm stuck on what to do as a 3rd option.
Have you considered taking a Science?
livydavey03
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! I do product design and photography at A-level. Product design is really good; you do quite a bit of maths and a little bit of science as well as design drawings, so maybe that would be ideal for you so you don't miss out on maths but still get to do something like art that you enjoy? I'm not sure if your school offer it though, but just remember to do something that you know you will probably like otherwise sixth form won't be very fun!
Last edited by livydavey03; 1 month ago
Boomz8888
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sethh)
Maths would deffo be a gd choice as it will open up the range, of courses, you can take at uni. Also uni's if you wanted to study computer science and uni. Uni's would prefer you to have a good grade in maths rather than computer science. Also you'll be more employable as well. I struggled with maths at first as well, but what I did was started the A-Level Maths with a tutor at the end of summer like once or twice a week just so the content was easier to learn in college. The tutor I used was @my_maths_tutor on Instagram, and I ended up with an A* in Maths and it allowed me to choose so many more courses.
blackugo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maths, graphics, product design, physics. Maths or physics will open the most doors.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sethh)
What options does your sixth form offer that you’re considering?

You could go for another creative subject like graphic design, photography or product design.

Or you could pick something that would be in some way related to visual communication like media or psychology or english language or even sociology or history or business.

Or you could pick something completely different that you think would be interesting.
aliblol
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you decide to go down computing route, maths is pretty essential! But definitely pick a subject that you enjoy because I literally ended up dropping the ones I didn't enjoy as I didn't do as well in them. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (9)
17.65%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (14)
27.45%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
5.88%
No, I haven't received any communication (25)
49.02%

Watched Threads