Should I get a 2-in-1 laptop for a computer science/maths course at uni?

Watch
Erdsa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The title pretty much sums it up but my budget is around £500 with £600 being a stretch i can just about make. I play games a lot so I want a good CPU, so I'm planning on getting a laptop with AMD Ryzen 5 or 7 (but am also open for Intel i5 and i7) (the laptop I'm planning on buying is Lenovo ideapad 5 if touchscreen is not necessary)

However, I am wondering if the notes require me to write using a touchscreen laptop (I have offers for computer science but I am considering on switching to a maths course) because if so, then the touchscreen laptops with the specs I'm looking for (e.g. HP ENVY x360, Lenovo Yoga C740 etc) are out of my budget (they're all around £800). I can attempt to try and get funds to buy one of these laptops, but if it isn't necessary then I just don't see a point

Thank you for spending your time reading this TT^TT
Last edited by Erdsa; 1 month ago
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Erdsa)
The title pretty much sums it up but my budget is around £500 with £600 being a stretch i can just about make. I play games a lot so I want a good CPU, so I'm planning on getting a laptop with AMD Ryzen 5 or 7 (but am also open for Intel i5 and i7) (the laptop I'm planning on buying is Lenovo ideapad 5 if touchscreen is not necessary)

However, I am wondering if the notes require me to write using a touchscreen laptop (I have offers for computer science but I am considering on switching to a maths course) because if so, then the touchscreen laptops with the specs I'm looking for (e.g. HP ENVY x360, Lenovo Yoga C740 etc) are out of my budget (they're all around £800). I can attempt to try and get funds to buy one of these laptops, but if it isn't necessary then I just don't see a point

What games are you wanting to play? It's not the CPU that you need to pay most attention to here, it's the GPU that's most important and will largely dictate the form factor of the machine. Are they demanding games you're looking to play like modern AAA titles, or less intensive stuff like 2D platformers, retro games etc?
Bree Delahaye
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I like the look of the LENOVO IdeaPad 2 in 1 Chromebook, it is around £300 from Curry's. I am hopefully going to get one to study Biology.
bluewolf21
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Erdsa)

No, I normally recommend using Pen and Paper anyway for taking notes as it won't drain the battery quite so quickly, it honestly just feels more natural, and it gives you something more creative to do with it.

Gaming is another thing altogether, though. As mentioned above, gaming really is more of a GPU intensive task than it is CPU-intensive, and while the iGPU in the Ryzen 4000 series CPU's is great for light and some medium games like Rocket League, Overwatch, League of Legends, etc., for demanding titles it's probably not going to be a fun experience. If you can live with only playing lighter and some medium titles, you might be able to get away with the Ryzen's iGPU - anything more though and it's not going to be fun.

That said, it's worth having a look on Notebookcheck.net's page(this is the one for the Ryzen 4500u's iGPU) for your graphics card as it will give you a decent idea of what frame rates you'll get and at what settings.
Last edited by bluewolf21; 1 month ago
Erdsa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
What games are you wanting to play? It's not the CPU that you need to pay most attention to here, it's the GPU that's most important and will largely dictate the form factor of the machine. Are they demanding games you're looking to play like modern AAA titles, or less intensive stuff like 2D platformers, retro games etc?
yeah dw I don't play gpu intensive games. I just play league, valorant, terraria and other not so intensive games (and some osu if anyone knows what that is)
Erdsa
Rep:
?
(Original post by bluewolf21)
No, I normally recommend using Pen and Paper anyway for taking notes as it won't drain the battery quite so quickly, it honestly just feels more natural, and it gives you something more creative to do with it.

Gaming is another thing altogether, though. As mentioned above, gaming really is more of a GPU intensive task than it is CPU-intensive, and while the iGPU in the Ryzen 4000 series CPU's is great for light and some medium games like Rocket League, Overwatch, League of Legends, etc., for demanding titles it's probably not going to be a fun experience. If you can live with only playing lighter and some medium titles, you might be able to get away with the Ryzen's iGPU - anything more though and it's not going to be fun.

That said, it's worth having a look on Notebookcheck.net's page(this is the one for the Ryzen 4500u's iGPU) for your graphics card as it will give you a decent idea of what frame rates you'll get and at what settings.
i pretty much play not so intensive games anyway because I actually get super dizzy with gpu intensive games lmaoooo.

I was considering pen and paper, but would you need to copy that up onto your laptop or not? if not, then I guess I have my answer x)
Last edited by Erdsa; 1 month ago
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Erdsa)
yeah dw I don't play gpu intensive games. I just play league, valorant, terraria and other not so intensive games (and some osu if anyone knows what that is)
In that case you'll be fine with a iGPU based laptop, I'd definitely still aim for a 4000 series Ryzen 5/7 though as games like Valorant can still tax integrated CPUs and because they're generally beating the crap out of their similarly priced Intel competitors.
Erdsa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bree Delahaye)
I like the look of the LENOVO IdeaPad 2 in 1 Chromebook, it is around £300 from Curry's. I am hopefully going to get one to study Biology.
unfortunately, chromebook doesnt run on windows and from what ive read quite some time ago, its significantly easier to program on windows (i think its because a lot of languages can't be compiled on other OS's or something but i may be making this up)

but £300 would be sooooo good for my bank account xD
Erdsa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
In that case you'll be fine with a iGPU based laptop, I'd definitely still aim for a 4000 series Ryzen 5/7 though as games like Valorant can still tax integrated CPUs and because they're generally beating the crap out of their similarly priced Intel competitors.
yeah ive been looking into the ryzen 5 4500U because its just so good from what ive heard AND its cheaper than intel
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (25)
30.86%
Less motivated (56)
69.14%

Watched Threads