applying for a geograpghy course and need more reading

Watch
perplexed_dogs
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I think this is the right area to ask this question

I'm planning to apply for geography at several universities. While drafting my personal statement I have realized I haven't read many books or articles which I can talk about. Does anyone have any recommendations for reading material?

Thanks
Libbyc16
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
prisoners of geography
bubblesrain
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by perplexed_dogs)

I'm planning to apply for geography at several universities. While drafting my personal statement I have realized I haven't read many books or articles which I can talk about. Does anyone have any recommendations for reading material?

Thanks
Hi! I have gotten offers from Durham, UCL and Birmingham for Geography. In my personal statement I wrote about two books I had read - Prisoners of Geography and Factfulness. Both great books. I also talked about a podcast I had listened to on globalisation by the Guardian, so you can do this with any podcast that is linked with Geography. Hope this helps, feel free to ask more.
Margerine
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi, Geography grad here, good starting points which you can talk about include anything by neil smith, david harvey. klaus dodds. These are big figures in the geo world who are a staple of many geo courses. These can be quite wordy so maybe prisoners of geography but thats what alot of people will have said. Maybe pick a certain area of geog? geopolitics, globalisation, ecology?
University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by perplexed_dogs)

Thanks
Hi perplexed_dogs,

I hope you are well during these unprecedented times.

A couple of books which I would recommend include Disaster Capitalism: Making a Killing Out of Catastrophe by Antony Loewenstein. In my opinion, it was an eye opening book demonstrating the impact of unequal human development on natural disaster fatalities and damage.

Another personal favourite- Coasts in Crisis: A Global Challenge by Gary Griggs. I have always been fascinated by Coasts, and my A Level Geography teacher recommended it, and it certainly didn’t disappoint.

If you want to read a more academically styled book in preparation for university. I would recommend reading Human Geography: A Concise Introduction by Mark Boyle. Or if you are wanting a book which is orientated around Physical Geography I would recommend reading Earth Portrait of a Planet: Sixth edition Stephen Marshak.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield
Last edited by University of Huddersfield Student Rep; 1 year ago
Jase1909
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
The shock of the anthropocene. I had this recomended by a professor.
Lee17
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Really depends on what sort Geography course (BA; Human or BSc: Physical or a combined?) and the university you are applying to. All the above are good starting points, but if you have an area of geography you are more interested in e.g. glaciers, LGBT populations, etc. try and understand key concepts and any major challenges or controversial areas. The reading doesn't matter as long as you can show you are passionate about a certain area.

I did BSc Physical Geography, MSc Physical Geography and now in a PhD and I honestly never read a quintessential geography book before going to university. If you can read any of those above, great. If you van do some research to understand key topics, etc great. If not, just try and show how passionate you are.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (18)
8.37%
Okay (64)
29.77%
A bit lacking (81)
37.67%
Not good at all (52)
24.19%

Watched Threads