Does the ranking of the uni you go to matter?

Watch
indecisiveel2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m about to start uni in September to do biomed. I didn’t apply to Oxbridge (regret it) but I had a uni offer for one of the highly ranked London unis( imperial) but I rejected it due to being unsure about the expense, social life and the actual teaching of the course (no lectures/ group tutorials- only e modules).

I feel like I made a mistake and my career will be affected by this as it would have been a perfect uni to graduate from with a science degree name wise and it has a lot of connections.
I just felt that there were so many cons but looking at it now going to uni this year will have lots of cons anyways so I feel like there was no point in rejecting it. I just feel terrible.

There was another top 10 uni I could have gone to but the familiarity of the place (Bath) led to me feeling no excitement about going there so I also rejected it.( I tried to change It to my firm after I realised how different things will be with corona but the accommodation guarantee deadline for that uni was very early so I decided not to switch even though I really wanted to).

I am still going to a Russel Group (Birmingham) that’s at least top 15-20 in the UK but I don’t know I just feel like I made a big mistake because I’ve always been told to aim for the highest ranked unis because I’m capable of getting in and if you don’t go to one you won’t be as employable/ accomplished.

It’s kind of put me off going to the uni I’ve chosen because even though I find the subject really interesting and it would be cool to work in that field, I don’t want to spend 3-5 years studying and have spent 2 years at college working my hardest to get at least A*AA (predicted) just to end up at an average uni in an employers eyes and be unemployed or end up with a £20,000 job that I could have worked my way up to without a degree. I just feel really stupid even though I made this uni/ course decision taking into account what would be best for me in terms of my preferred method of learning, mental health, finance and obviously my passion but since I decided everything so last minute I just feel like I didn’t weigh up all the pros and cons properly for each choice.

I’ve been having so many breakdowns over this and can’t sleep. I just feel like I made that choice so impulsively and people will think less of me for going to this uni instead of the other two. It sucks because now I can’t change anything and a gap year to think about and fix things is out of the question as it would certainly turn out to be unproductive due to no planning.
Last edited by indecisiveel2; 1 month ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by indecisiveel2)
I didn’t apply to Oxbridge (regret it) but I had a uni offer for one of the highly ranked London unis but I rejected it due to being unsure about the expense, social life and the actual teaching of the course (no lectures/ group tutorials- only e modules). I feel like I made a mistake and my career will be affected by this as it would have been a perfect uni to graduate from with a science degree name wise and it has a lot of connections. I just felt that there were so many cons but looking at it now going to uni this year will have lots of cons anyways so I feel like there was no point in rejecting it. I just feel terrible. There was another top 10 uni I could have gone to but the familiarity of it led to me feeling no excitement about going there so I also rejected it.( I tried to change It to my firm after I realised how different things will be with corona but the accommodation guarantee deadline for that uni was very early so I decided not to switch even though I really wanted to). I am still going to a Russel Group that’s at least top 15-20 in the UK but I don’t know I just feel like I made a big mistake and will now find it more difficult to find a job. It’s kind of put me off going to uni this year because even though the subject really interesting and it would be cool to work in that field, I don’t want to spend 3-5 years studying and have spent 2 years at college working my hardest to get at least A*AA (predicted) just to end up at an average uni in an employers eyes and be unemployed or end up with a £20,000 job that I could have worked my way up to without a degree. I just feel really stupid even though I made this uni/ course decision taking into account what would be best for me in terms of my preferred method of learning, mental health, finance and obviously my passion but since I decided everything so last minute I just feel like I didn’t weigh up all the pros and cons properly for each choice. I’ve been having so many breakdowns over this and can’t sleep. When all you’ve got to look forward to is the future (especially in these times with the coronavirus), but your future doesn’t seem so promising anymore it’s hard to feel content with life. I just feel like I made that choice so impulsively and people will think less of me for going to this uni instead of the other two. It sucks because now I can’t change anything and a gap year to think about and fix things is out of the question as it would certainly turn out to be unproductive due to no planning.
Maybe put some paragraphs in and more people will read it. Solid blocks of text and streams of consciousness posts get fewer responses.

Also confirm whether you have started uni or if you have what year and how your exams are going.

Also hard to know without the unis being mentioned. course or career etc.
Last edited by 999tigger; 1 month ago
indecisiveel2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Okay thanks done
161BMW
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A name like Imperial, Cambridge, Oxford, LSE etc only helps if you want to for example say you doing a science degree and you want to go into the City investment banks and management consultancy as an example target these specific universities. Thought you can get in from other places too.

If you really really don’t want to go to where you have firmed, then maybe talk to the other universities or consider taking a gap year with something constructive to do like working and revising and keeping sharp in your spare time or volunteering at charity / care home or what you anything to build your CV. There may be more competition for places next year possibly but it is really your choice to where you would like to go. Where ever u go they have to adapt to Covid 19. I do get what u saying though as a whole year online is not ideal. Have a think before you decide what to do and don’t make any rash overnight decisions and think it through. No harm in reapplying either. On the flip side birmingham is Russell Group I don’t know how good it is for your subject though. Bath is also generally a good university. Also if you get good grades then having grades in hand could be a positive in your favour possibly. You have to talk to universities as they will know more if you went through reapplying route or clearing route. Don’t make any rash decisions though and think it through for a few days.
Last edited by 161BMW; 1 month ago
161BMW
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The main thing for jobs is decent uni which all the ones you mentioned including Birmingham are, 2:1 or First, good set of skills attained from uni outside your course from summer placements or societies and clubs or volunteering and any projects related to your industry if possible. Polishing interview skills.
gyuigygh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Biomed is biomed. Yes having imperial would have looked better, but if you're planning to work in uk it ain't much of a problem. Have you actually looked at the average salaries, coz im pretty sure they will be similar, at least 3 years after graduating .

Also, if you've applied for a bachelors you can probs just do a masters in imperial if you really want, but it's biomed, not engineering or comp sci so I doubt the gain would be that much at imperial.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (28)
29.79%
Less motivated (66)
70.21%

Watched Threads