My driving test is on Monday... gulp

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Omg so my driving test is next Monday and I have had 20 lessons worth of lessons and then like 90 hours in my own car so I'm gonna do the test in my own car.
I feel confident whilst driving and don't really make many mistakes anymore but I am so nervous for the test!
I know that if I don't pass this time, I don't know when the next test will be (due to corona obviously) and it is very likely I won't get to sit one until 2021 (my theory expires this year) so I'll have to resit the theory as well which is something I REALLY do not want to do again.
The pressure of knowing this is essentially my last chance to pass for a long time is getting to me and I'm worried I'm gonna mess up on something stupid...
Like I feel like my lane discipline will mess up or something if I get a complicated roundabout... I am alright when it comes to speed limits, moving off, parking, emergency stopping etc. but I still feel like roundabouts are something I will mess up at because I'll be too nervous, I've practiced them so much that if I mess up it will be really annoying...
I have done so much practice over the last two years that I just want my license now and don't wanna be a learner anymore... I am confident on most type of roads and have driven up to 40 miles from one town to another so am okay with unfamiliar roads
I know everyone gets really nervous but I just feel like I am even more nervous this time around compared to my last time when I was pretty chilled...
I have booked the test for 1pm which hopefully shouldn't be too busy so I won't get freaked out.I am completely fine driving but the thought of sitting the test is so nerve wracking even though this is something I've been working towards for the past two years and should be able to pass this time around...
Anonymous #1
I do feel more prepared this time around and feel like I can do everything I am supposed to but I've known people to fail despite being really prepared so idk...
Anonymous #1
Oh my god I've just read that if you make a major error, they will terminate the test and tell you to drive back to the centre whereas before you could finish the test!
WHAT.... this has just made everything so much worse, I really think I'll end up crying if I failed the test and they terminated it so would be so dangerous if I was to drive back...
Especially because last time, I failed within 30 seconds of leaving the test centre so if that happens then I'm gonna be moritified, my parents have spent so much money on my driving (at least £1000 by now) and the fact that I may not even get a full test is awful.....I'm gonna feel so bad for wasting their money if I failed again
Anonymous #1
I'm even more scared now... Idk why I'm so much more nervous now because I was so calm the last time
Anonymous #1
I've also read that the car needs to be ventilated well and that will probably mean that the examiner is gonna want to open the windows... I get so f***ing distracted when someone opens the window because I'm not used to it yet and therefore end up making so many mistakes as I can't focus as much
It just seems like I'm set up for failure...omg I'm so much more nervous now
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
OP you will be fine. I really do think you are over-thinking this.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
OP you will be fine. I really do think you are over-thinking this.
Honestly, I know that 100 hours of experience is much more than is needed to pass the test and I am no longer nervous about driving anywhere/doing any manoeuvres but still I have this feeling that I will get seriously unlucky within the first couple of minutes and fail...
It takes me around 1-2 minutes before I truly get comfortable driving so I'm extremely worried I'll mess in this time frame
Anonymous #1
Why am I so scared this time around😭😭😭
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Honestly, I know that 100 hours of experience is much more than is needed to pass the test and I am no longer nervous about driving anywhere/doing any manoeuvres but still I have this feeling that I will get seriously unlucky within the first couple of minutes and fail...
It takes me around 1-2 minutes before I truly get comfortable driving so I'm extremely worried I'll mess in this time frame
You will be fine. I’m sure
Racsoix
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not much you can do apart from take a breather and believe in yourself, as cliche as it sounds. You've put the work in and you say you're confident in your abilities so just ensure you concentrate properly until you get comfortable after the first few minutes. Just talk yourself through everything that you've been taught/you've practiced. Best of luck! You'll feel great once it's done and out of the way.
drivingstress
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Oh my god I've just read that if you make a major error, they will terminate the test and tell you to drive back to the centre whereas before you could finish the test!
WHAT.... this has just made everything so much worse, I really think I'll end up crying if I failed the test and they terminated it so would be so dangerous if I was to drive back...
Especially because last time, I failed within 30 seconds of leaving the test centre so if that happens then I'm gonna be moritified, my parents have spent so much money on my driving (at least £1000 by now) and the fact that I may not even get a full test is awful.....I'm gonna feel so bad for wasting their money if I failed again
You need to look at this from the other perspective. One of the most common reasons for failing a test is thinking you have a made a mistake, getting distracted and then making another mistake... if the test is terminated for a serious/dangerous mistake then you know as long as you are still driving you haven't made a major mistake.

Has your instructor recommended you take your test? A good instructor will never recommend taking a test unless they think you are capable. Whilst you may have to wait a little while for a retest there are far worst things that could happen at the moment, so the downsides of failing a driving test need to be put in a little bit of perspective. Just focus on what's going on around you, take your time and try not to rush anything.
overalltea
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think maybe you need to stop reading things on the internet as it just seems to be winding you up more and more. I do understand the pressure (my test is also next week, I know) but it's really important that you find things that relax you and focus on that, even if it's just to distract you. The night before my test, I'm going to have a nice long bath, eat my favourite dinner, then have an early night (because I know I will lie awake for a while worried about the test, to which I'm planning to just watch something on Netflix and have some hot chocolate.) Also if I'm asleep then I'm not driving myself nuts with anxiety.

It'll only take the edge off but it would be way better than what you're doing to yourself now.
TheDE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Try not to make a mountain of a molehill. Don't focus on what can distract you as it inevitably will. Watch the lane markings on roundabouts you'll be fine. If you're in the wrong lane, don't change just go the way the lane takes you and you will be redirected
overalltea
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So how did your test go, anon?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (31)
25.62%
Less motivated (90)
74.38%

Watched Threads