The Student Room Group

Applying for the RAF

Hi,

I’ve just finished year 13 and I’m thinking about applying for the RAF. I’m thinking of applying to an officer role but am uncertain whether that’s unrealistic given my age as well as not having any experience in groups such as the air cadets. If anyone has any advice I’d really appreciate it.
Reply 1
If you search this Forum there is plenty of advice on the kind of activities the RAF look for people having done to show their leadership potential.

You don't have to have attended Cadets and your age won't go against you if you can show the qualities they are looking for. Have a look at the RAF Recruitment website for the basic requirements (education, fitness, medical). What roles are you considering?

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, I really appreciate the advice. I’m considering a military police officer role as when I was younger I knew I either wanted to go into the police or the military and when I found that role and looked into it, it really appealed to me
You have as much chance as anyone else, what you need to be able to demonstrate is that you are both eligible (See RAF website for the criteria, both physical and education) and suitable for the role you're applying for. Being an officer, you are putting yourself into a position where your leadership skill will be used. While you'll get training, before you apply you need to be able to demonstrate you've got experience within specific domains including but not limited to both leadership and followership. Air Cadets helps people with that, but if you didn't do it, don't worry. Think about what other things you've done and how that can be relevant going for an officer role and in your case the Military Police. Consider any volunteering roles, work related opportunities you've taken and clubs you've been part of.

Do you research online. There is loads of information for you to grab. The RAF website is full of it but you can search around on forums and there are loads of videos and content on websites like YouTube too.

Then, head to your local AFCO or click the online application button to get started. Best of luck
Reply 4
Thank you for all the advice and help

Quick Reply

Latest